View Full Version : Cutting/indexing material longer than the table

metabot
06-13-2012, 02:21 PM
I want to cut 2' x 7' panels on my Desktop system. I'm sure it's possible with the right jigging and workflow but I can't find anything about it on the forum.

I figure the best way is to register the material sorta like a film strip with small holes on the edges of the sheet to index it at given increments on the table. Guides or rails on the sides would also help keep it straight when repositioning.

I am especially interested in ways to split up a single large CAD drawing into cuttable sections that match an indexing method like the one above.

Has anyone done this? I know it's possible.. it might even be 'easy' with the right set up.

steve_g
06-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Tim

What software are you using?... PartWorks has a "tile" tool that may do what you want.

SG

Joe Porter
06-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Did you get PartWorks with the Desktop? I believe it has a "Tiling" function that will let you breakup your toolpaths in any way you want. joe ...OOps! Late on the reply...joe

curtiss
06-13-2012, 05:23 PM
"Filmstip" is a very good way to describe it.

Some vertical pegs in the spoil board whatever distance apart... and then just move the piece "up a frame" and cut again.

Probably could go 40-50 feet that way. :):)

metabot
06-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Ahh.. tiling. Tiling is good. :) I have partworks.. I will take a closer look.

If anyone knows of any documented projects that utilize tiling I would love to take a look.

Thanks!

jdervin
06-14-2012, 02:11 AM
While I suspect that tiling is the more elegant solution, I was recently using Part Wizard (precursor to PartWorks; no tiling option) and needed to cut an irregular edge along a couple of 14' pieces of 1x12 on a 48x48 PRS. To do this, I sliced the original model using the 'Trim Vectors to Intersections' tool (scissors) every 48" and pasted each chunk into separate files at the lower left. Each toolpath used a 'Machine Along Vectors' strategy.

In cutting, I mounted a straight edge to the table and zeroed to an arbitrary point at the edge of the table. On the work piece, I marked the 0", 48", 96", and 144" points and then aligned each point to zero on the straight edge before running the appropriate file.

I did encounter some tolerance problems (probably due to my method of clamping), but it was acceptable and correctable for this particular project. Several people have demonstrated very precise success with the mounting hole/peg method, so I suspect that would have improved my results.