PDA

View Full Version : probe software

maverick123
06-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Hello,

We are using the shopbot probe with a shopbot buddy and it does a good job of of 2D contour probing and 3D total output probing.

However it doesn't do a 2D style perimeter probe with a 3D output.

Anybody out there know of an affordable software package that will use the shopbot probe and do 2Dperimeter with 3D output?

Thanks

Brady Watson
06-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Anybody out there know of an affordable software package that will use the shopbot probe and do 2Dperimeter with 3D output?

Thanks

Please post a pic of what you mean or explain a little better. Not sure what a 3D output of a 2D perimeter is exactly...and I've done my share of work with the probe.

-B

maverick123
06-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Hello,

Basically the probe does an output in 2D around the edge of an item, it gives x and y axis locations. In 3D it travels back and forth across the part measuring differences in elevation, but it has to go a full premeasured distance before it changes direction.

I need a system that can track around the interior or exterior of a part and record x and y locations and z elevation changes. Then when it is done with one loop step over a specified distance and do another loop.

Thanks

steve_g
06-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Like Isobars?

SG

maverick123
06-14-2012, 11:27 AM
good morning Steve,

Yes isobars are a very good example.

Thanks

Lee Hudson

paul_z
06-14-2012, 11:38 AM
You may be better off exporting the 3D probe data and then using Aspire or a cad program to slice the model creating your isopleths.

Paul Z

steve_g
06-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Lee

OK,. we're getting some where!... more like this?

SG

maverick123
06-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Hello,

Yes Steve, the spiral would be the closer of the two examples, as long as that is a view from the top looking down on a screw thread.

The Star is a good example of an output that I can use for a particular project

Another example is a Wave Washer, same loop but with varying elevations.

Thanks

Brady Watson
06-14-2012, 04:26 PM
The easiest way to do this sort of thing (wavy washer as an example) would be to first probe in 3D. It will raster back and forth & give you a collection of points or a 3D DXF surface. Then, pull the 3D surface into something like Rhino et al and project a circle onto the wavy washer mesh. This will give you a 2D spline that follows the curvature of the wavy washer. The same thing could be done in ArtCAM and maybe Aspire by thinking outside the box a little - and this would be a toolpath ONLY not an exportable 3D vector line that varies in Z. The toolpath would be that way, but you would not be able to export it other than a flat vector...Unless you converted the toolpath to a DXF using the FC command in SB3.

Try it & see what you come up with...

-B

maverick123
06-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the input, we'll give it a try and see what we can do.

Thanks