PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Router Maintenance

dmdraper
01-04-2002, 11:02 AM
A "heads up" for all of you using a PC router on your ShopBot.

I'm having a tough time ordering a replacement 1/4" collet. I placed an order on Amazon and was told there is a one month backorder (if anyone has another source, I'd appreciate hearing from you). Also, for those of you who only have one collet - plan ahead 'cause they do wearout and break!

Dave D.

jgilliam@industryinet.com
01-04-2002, 12:52 PM
Dave,
Where are you located? If there is a PC service center neer you they should have these in stock.
James

billp
01-04-2002, 04:49 PM
Dave, Woodworker's Warehouse also stocks them...BillP

BBoehle
01-06-2002, 09:26 PM
Dave,
I use the 1/4" and 1/8" sleeves sold by many supply houses. Makita has them, MCLS and others. I have never had any trouble with any of them.
Bruce

Mayo
01-11-2002, 02:48 AM
Is it normal to see a blue/white arc happening inside the router (through the vent slots near the top) while routing?

I notice this more when it's cutting than when it's just on and not cutting.

I routinely place the shopvac on the vent slots after cutting to make sure I get any dust out of there. Could it be the armature is just getting dirty anyways?

dmdraper
01-11-2002, 11:53 AM
Mayo,

It's normal to see arching at the brushes. Any motor/generator that uses a physical connection (brushes) between the rotor and field will do this.

Dave

jay_mack1@hotmail.com
07-15-2003, 09:19 PM
Is there any difference in the Porter cable router that Shopbot offers and one that I can buy off the shelf at a home center? The model 7518.

Please drop me an e-mail.

kerrazy
07-15-2003, 09:22 PM
Yep, No handles.
Dale

jay_mack1@hotmail.com
07-16-2003, 02:22 PM
The handles are just like the 630 model correct? The motor just twists out of the handle sets...

kerrazy
07-17-2003, 12:49 PM
I am not familiar with a 630 model, but the 690 model has a smaller body, and will not accomadate the 7519 as far as sharing a base.

The 7519, though noisey is truly bullet proof.

Also there is a notable difference in hp and consturuction between the two routers.

Dale

gerald_d
07-17-2003, 02:08 PM
From looking around on the www:

3.25HP/Handles/variable speed = 7518
3.25HP/Handles/fixed speed = 7519
3.25HP/No handles/variable speed = 75182

jay.mack@chiefind.com
07-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Does ShopBot do anything with the router, shorten the cord, rewire it? Are the speeds adjusted through ShopBot software or at the router motor?

graphicmetals
07-18-2003, 08:09 AM
<<Does ShopBot do anything with the router, shorten the cord, rewire it?>>

No.

<<Are the speeds adjusted through ShopBot software or at the router motor?>>

At the router.

stickman
06-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Porter Cable Router Teardown,

I'm getting high heat build up at the collet. It just started yesterday. I am sure that its the bearings that need to be replaced. Can someone that has done this tell me the process of tearing down the router and replacing these bearings.

I bought my Shopbot in October. Eight months. Is that pretty good for bearing life.

Thanks! Jay

paul_n
06-01-2004, 10:46 AM
Jay...
Can not address the time, as I think it might have a lot to do with total hours of operation, and types of materials being cut.
But, I was able to get a 'rebuild' kit and full documentation from ShopBot, and was happy with results.
Paul

gerald_d
06-01-2004, 11:23 AM
I am curious as to the actual bearing that is used by the PC router. Does anyone know:
- Inside Diameter?
- Outside Diameter?
- Width (or height as it stands in the SB)?
- Seals/shields one side, or both sides?
- Seals of rubber or shields of metal?

Ball bearings have been well documented and standardised - from the above info one can reverse engineer to allowed speeds and loads. There are all sorts of do's and don'ts when changing bearings......

stickman
06-01-2004, 11:35 AM
Gerald,

That was kinda my thought as well. Maybe to find a better set of bearings to take the loads and the abuse that sometimes is associated with our Shopbots.

I'm a ranchers kid from the Panhandle of Nebraska, I've changed a number of bearings, from tractors to hay machines. It doesn't look to be anything to challenging. I'm aware of the do's and don'ts.

Speaking on the brush issue. When should they be changed, I popped out the ones on my PC and they looked pretty decent, with a fair amount of length left to them.

Jay

gerald_d
06-01-2004, 01:30 PM
Jay, around here we would buy INA, SKF, FAG or Timken bearings, provided the the packaging states that they were made in Europe, if we want a long-life bearing. There is a SKF factory over here, but I wouldn't use those bearings for long life at high speeds.

We have a self-built grinding machine that will destroy a "non-European" bearing in 2 hours, while a Swedish SKF bearing at only twice the price goes for 3 years.

I would really recommend that guys shop around for decent quality bearings irrespective of the extra $5-10 that they may cost.

olecrafty
06-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Jay,

You are still within the one year warranty of the router. Check to see about a PC repair center close to you and you may get the router repaired for free.

Kaiwa
olecrafty@charter.net (mailto:olecrafty@charter.net)

dingwall
06-02-2004, 08:00 PM
My local bearing supply house sold me some Japanese NTN non-contact rubber seal bearings last November. They only lasted 5 months compared to the original bearings which lasted 2 years.

Gerald, what's your experience been with NTN?

gerald_d
06-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Not Too Nice