PDA

View Full Version : shopbot/mach 3

Stan P
06-30-2012, 03:10 PM
I was fortunate enough to have been given a 4x8 Shopbot with the alpha spindle. I have a small K2 machine I have been working with that I used to begin learning how to use a CNC machine. Over the last few months I have gotten very comfortable with Mach3. I also have a post for Mach3 that I use with SolidWorks CAD/CAM. I will have to purchase another post for the Shopbot and that looks like about 500 bucks. I would prefer to stay with Mach3 as my controller to avoid the learning curve with new software and some cost. My question is will Mach3 run my Shopbot and if so, do I have to make any changes other than setting up Mach3 in my computer? I am new to the forum and i am at the egg roll stage so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

gc3
06-30-2012, 04:56 PM
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14436&highlight=mach3

more threads...look in search box

richards
07-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Stan, it will probably cost you a lot more than $500 to convert the electronics in your machine to run Mach 3.

I understand your desire to keep things uniform, but why not explore the advantages of SB3 before making a conversion. You'll be pleasantly surprised at what SB3 can easily do that Mach 3 can't do, or can only do if you extend its capabilities.

When I had a PRT-Alpha, I also had a Mach 3 test bench. A minimal Mach 3 box will cost at least $1,500 to build if you use components equal in quality to those that Shopbot uses. Add to that a computer and stepper motors and you will easily double the cost.

Whenever someone asks me for a "ballpark" figure to make a reliable Mach 3 CNC controller, I tell them to figure on about $5,000 and about a month of time to do the job and that's assuming that they know their way around electronics and software.

beacon14
07-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Did your machine come with VCarve Pro or PartWorks? If not I'd consider spending the money for PartWorks, it's very easy to learn and use with your ShopBot. If the machine came with, then you are all set, just start playing and search or ask here if you get stuck.

zeykr
07-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Try the mach gcode output in the SB3 software and you may not even need a new post. Most Mach gcode seems to run in shopbots SB3.

danhamm
07-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Stan, can you give more info on which shopbot you have, is it a prt. alpha, with a spindle.?
and what does the control box look like.? If you can use the shopbot power supply and just put a compatible Mach3 control card such as PMDX 122 card, the cost won't be to much.

richards
07-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Any controller needs a power supply (which you would already have), stepper drivers (that you would have if you have Alpha motors or if you have the 4G upgrade, otherwise you might have to buy new drivers), a break-out-board (PMDX-122 or similar) and a license.

Stepper drivers cost $125 - $160 each, depending on the model. You'll need four drivers minimum.

PMDX break-out-boards start at about $100

A Mach 3 license (one required per machine), costs about $150.

Minimum cost would probably be $750.

Add to that the CAM software.

jzarski1
07-06-2012, 10:34 PM
I build a Mach3 controller for my PRT with a Gecko G540. I had the controller sittin in my shop from my older Joe's 4x4. Went through all the headache of making pigtails and rebuilding the controller, all while learning SB3. Well there the controller sits in a cabinet in my shop. SB3 is pretty easy to learn and understand. Anyways my 2 cents is to keep the SB3.

John