PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate vectors

eugene
07-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Another issue that im having is that on some images that i have on vcarve, when i try to calculate the image, i get a "# duplicate vectors were identified in the selection and are being ignored. There are # remaining vectors." This happens on certain images and mostly when there is an open circle somewhere in the image. Even if i delete the circle and draw it myself, i still get the same error.
Any suggestions?

rcnewcomb
07-03-2012, 08:02 PM
On the Edit menu:
1. choose Select All Duplicate Vectors
2. choose Delete

From page 195 of the help manual:

Edit ►Select All Duplicate Vectors
Selects all the currently visible Duplicate vectors in the part – these are vectors which are exact copies of each other in terms of shape and location so that visually they appear to be only one vector. These can cause problems for some toolpath and modeling functions so it can be useful to delete them or move them to a new layer.

eugene
07-03-2012, 11:33 PM
yes and it says that i have open vectors in a same way and when i try to join them it says that all vectors are closed?

adrianm
07-04-2012, 03:36 AM
The Join Vectors will show you the current state at the top and what would happen if you pressed the button at the bottom.

Are you sure you're not looking at the bottom bit thinking that's the current state?

If not could you attach a file with the problem?

eugene
07-04-2012, 09:06 AM
i dont know, could it be that those files were made on artcam ?
or that i have a trial version of vcarve?

rcnewcomb
07-05-2012, 08:25 PM
It isn't ArtCam or Vectric that is the problem. The problem is that you are dealing with a file that has some issues.

There are four basic situations that cause problems for V-Carving or pocketing:
1. duplicate vectors
2. open vectors
3. loops and overlapping vectors
4. small artifacts

Here is a basic approach that I use if I have to clean up a poor quality file that has been supplied to me.

Check for duplicate vectors
Choose Edit/"Select All Duplicate Vectors"
If there are now duplicate vectors you will see a dialog box that reads: No duplicate vectors in design
If there were duplicates the areas with duplicate vectors may now appear as lines that are alternating black and magenta, though for some vectors they may be too small to see
Choose Edit/Delete to get rid of the duplicates.
Choose Edit/"Select All Duplicate Vectors" again to verify that you have deleted all duplicate vectors

Check for open vectors
Choose Edit/"Select All Open Vectors"

Depending on what the open vectors look like you may be able to close them.
Select Edit/Join
The dialog box shows how many vectors are open
You can change the tolerance in the dialog box to see if it will close more vectors

There are also icons to join vectors using a straight line, a curve, or a single point. You can experiment with these tools as well.

Sometimes the vectors weren't drawn with V-Carving in mind. In that case you have two options:
1. Create a Profile On Vector toolpath with the V-Bit at a constant depth.
This might actually be a good choice if the artwork was developed for engraving

2. Redraw close vectors in their place
This requires more artistic effort on your part
One technique is to select a single open vector, choose the offset vectors tool and create an offset 0.05" outward from the original. Next you would select both vectors. Choose the Join/Close Vectors with a straight line tool, which joins the two lines at one end. Again choose the Join/Close Vectors with a straight line tool, which closes the other end. You now have a closed vector.
Repeat for each open vector.

Loops and Overlapping vectors
Odd V-carving behavior can be caused by loops and overlapping vectors. These have to be cleaned up by node editing and using the snipping tool. Sometimes it is faster to draw new vectors. See the image for an example of loops and overlapping vectors.

Small Artifacts
Sometimes there are very small vectors which cause odd behavior in the v-carve toolpath. When you see this go back to the original drawing and zoom in on the area. You will probably see a small shape that you can select and delete.