PDA

View Full Version : find center of circle with probe. need help

tlempicke
07-04-2012, 07:20 AM
I am cutting an instrument panel for an old car. I have cut the 2" hole for an instrument from the front side, now I MUST FLIP IT OVER AND RELIEVE THE HOLE FROM THE BACKSIDE SO THAT THE INSTRUMENT WILL FIT.

Can I use the probe to do that accurately? Does anyone have a routine that might work?

Wasn't shouting, just a really crappy keyboard.

SterlingDevelop
07-04-2012, 08:48 AM
We don't have a probe, but here's what we do in your situation, maybe it will help.

On the CNC bed, place a scrap piece of plywood large enough to support your instrument panel. Don't move that setup.
Tell the bot to drill a 1/4" hole in the plywood in the approximate location of the instrument hole. CNC cut a 1.995" disk with a 1/4" hole in the center. Go back to the scrap ply, align the disk and the hole you drilled with a 1/4" dowel. Place the instrument panel over the disk, and fasten in place with whatever method you use. Remove the disk and dowel. Your hole is now centered to a known 0,0.

Hope that makes sense. Feel free to call if that doesn't compute.

Brent
www.dcscnc.com

sneakers
07-04-2012, 09:27 AM
I would have cut the relief and then cutout the 2" opening from the back and not need to flip the piece at all.

Gary

beacon14
07-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Make a shallow 2" circle cut into the spoilboard and then align the workpiece to the outline in the spoilboard.

garyc
07-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Tom..
If you have a working probe connected to Input 1 you can use it and the "sample_Center_inHole.sbp" file located in the SbParts folder to find the center of your hole.

Verify the probe lights on contact
Using the keypad move the tip of the probe into the circle with the tip low enough to contact the sides, but not the bottom
run the file.
Zero or VA the required location for your reverse side machining

tlempicke
07-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Thanks Gary, I thought there was a way to do that.

And thanks to the others who provided some good and simple ideas.