PDA

View Full Version : Gecko Drive Sparks

whittlinshed
07-08-2012, 08:19 PM
My prtStandard with 4g upgrade has been running great and I was finally starting to get confident with running it. Today I turned it on and everything seemed fine. I moved x, and y to reset them at a new zero point. All's well until I started jogging the machine to x24, y12, just to get it out of my way long enough to secure the work piece to the table.... It moved a few inches before it ran off track...I hit E-Stop and realized what had happened...Wasn't sure what caused this until I completely shut everything down and got everything back on track. When I powered the control box back up, a spark would come from the x-2 gecko drive controller...and a strong electrical smell....Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is this as simple as replacing the gecko drive? How difficult is this to change? I actually have another Gecko Drive, but are they all the same? Any info would be greatly appreciated...thanx

Brady Watson
07-08-2012, 08:58 PM
First, check that the Gecko is completely seated and the screw terminals from the X2 Gecko are tight against the pin terminals that stick up from the board. Then check that all wiring is tidy and strain relieved at the motor end & where it plugs into the control box.

Rule those things out, then consider replacing the Gecko. Yes, you can replace it with the same model number G202 or G203 depending on what year your machine is.

-B

whittlinshed
07-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanx Brady....I'll check all connections...If it is the drive, what is involved with replacing that?...

whittlinshed
07-08-2012, 11:01 PM
I checked all connections and all seemed to be fine. I then unplugged the gecko drive and replaced it with the back-up I had, and I'm back up and running... It scares me to death to open up that control box and start messing with stuff, but once again, an easy fix. Sometimes you just gotta do it...lol