View Full Version : What to do next

msantos
06-04-2007, 09:24 AM
got my shopbot assembled and ready to set the 0,0 and z plate. but does anybody have other ideas to help this novice user on what to learn next to help lessen the learning curve. the manual and online tutorials are ok but still have some questions.

i attended the west coast jamboree and took the basic course.

does anyone have suggestions or a guide as what not to do as well as how to proceed in using the bot. you know shopbot for dummies?

thanks

Brady Watson
06-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Martin,
Your biggest hurdle is going to be software & understanding how to get ideas from your brain into CAD, apply toolpaths and successfully machine the part on the CNC. Bundled with your manual and software is a 4+hr video training course on designing and machining using PartWizard. It doesn't go into machining using the Bot specifically since there are so many different machines, configurations and applications of a ShopBot, but actually running a part is pretty easy once you have your toolpaths set.

Spend time in PartWizard and get a feel for how it operates. Have the video up & running while you are doing this so that you can minimize it and try some of the examples yourself, working along with the video.

When you are ready to cut something, go buy some pink/blue insulation foam and some carpet tape. Stick the tape down and fasten the foam to the machine. Then, tell the machine where 0,0 is (C3), then Zero out the bit on top of the material (C2). Then start cutting. The nice thing about foam is that you can get a feel for feeds and speeds without worrying about hurting anything.

Hardly ever mentioned is the idea of having a mentor in your area to help you get going or as a sounding board for some of your 1st projects. You might want to post a new thread requesting that someone in your area be your mentor for a few months, or call ShopBot to see if there is someone near you.

-B

billp
06-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Martin,
After having met you at the Jamboree I realize your situation might be a little bit different than the "average" Shopbotter...
While Brady's suggestion of using insulation to practice with usually makes great sense, I'm not so sure that it's a standard consumer item out in Guam...If I remember correctly you have to "import" sheet goods from Hawaii, so maybe someone can find you a source there.Then I would do exactly as Brady suggests, and TRY stuff !Simple geometric shapes such as rectangles, and ellipses will help you get a feel for the software, and cutting process to start with... Even without the material in hand there is more than enough info on the tutorial CD to get you very comfortable with Part Wizard quickly. You can "test" your files in the preview mode to see what you have really created as well.
I also remember you saying that you might in fact be the ONLY CNC machine on Guam, so it may not be practical to find local mentoring...
With the new Google/search function you should have easier access to ALL of the previous postings
on this Forum if you ever have any doubt about a procedure. I have NO idea what time zone you are in out there, but I'm willing to bet that it's not too easy to co-ordinate tech support calls exactly at the moment you need help the most, so use this Forum (in addition to the search function) for "live" help when/if you need it.
I know you purchased some Vectric software at the Jamboree, and their tutorials, and
web page are an excellent source of assistance as well.
As you probably saw in San Mateo, everyone started out exactly in the same place you now find yourself, and through the combined resources that are available we all have been able to find ways to become productive...Keep us posted on your progress!

msantos
06-04-2007, 06:47 PM
bill and brady, thanks for the advice and remembering my unique situation. as for the time zone difference. when i am ready to sleep you east coast botters are starting your day. so calling support is kind of tricky.

well have to get to work getting acquainted with my big blue machine. will post as i progress or have further questions

thanks again

wiese
06-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Martin
You may have already discovered these, but here is a link to some tutorials that were written for high school students with no cnc experience.

http://www.shopbottools.com/forteachers.htm

They contain step by step illustrated directions and should relieve some of the anxiety of machining those first few projects on your new Bot. The projects contained in these turorials are small enough that you could machine them from scraps of wood that you probably already have laying around. Hope this helps.

msantos
06-05-2007, 07:15 AM
thanks jay,

that why i bought a shopbot because the vetrans are not afraid to help the newbies

martin