PDA

View Full Version : Carvewright to Aspire conversion

phil_o
07-10-2012, 04:41 PM
I am trying to help a friend who owns a Carvewright. He is a hard core technophobe and has little interest in computers. However he bought a Carvewright and I am trying to spoon feed the assistance, it won't happen any other way. He lives in Ohio, I live in Massachusetts so I can't stop by and help him in person.
I have a Shopbot and Aspire. The only avenue I can see to get him where he wants to go requires converting a Carvewright file to one I can import or open in Aspire. Is there a way to convert or import a Carvewright file to an Aspire file, the projects are 3D carvings?

Thanks for any help,

Phil

adrianm
07-10-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty sure the Carvewright software has the ability to create 16 bit greyscale images that can be loaded into Aspire using the Create Model from Bitmap tool on the Modelling tab.

Brady Watson
07-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Sorta...but you have to jump through hoops. First, CW files are based on bitmaps and are backwards in terms of blacks being high and whites being low, if my memory serves me correctly. You'll want to have him spit out the CW file as a greyscale bitmap and then you'll bring that into Aspire. Then use the 'create component from selected bitmap' function under the model menu and see how well that works for you.

I've done CW conversions for a few guys in ArtCAM, but not in Aspire. I remember needed to make a negative of the image he sent so that all the highs were low and vice versa. Give it a whirl...

-B

bob_reda
07-10-2012, 05:31 PM
I also think that the carvewright has a program to convert or import stl files. He'll have to buy it and you both can work in stl file format.

Bob

Doug Haffner
07-15-2012, 12:59 AM
CarveWright recently released a new set of 3d tools for Designer (their application for building files). One of the features is the ability to generate a a file and group everything and save it out as an .stl.
I've been very pleased with the results. I had some work on the CW that I definitely wanted to take to the shopbot...now I can.

Here is a file I created in CarveWright and then imported as an .stl and carved on the bot...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7137/7561926156_fd77f47f39_b.jpg

phil_o
07-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Is the feature to create an STL part of the standard Carvewright software or another piece of software that you had to purchase?

Thanks,

Phil

Brady Watson
07-15-2012, 11:36 AM
It is a cost-added option. You need the STL Importer AND the Pattern Editor software...which means it will cost you at least another $400 to get into the game.

-B

MogulTx
07-15-2012, 06:19 PM
I contacted them to get a plaque design that I wanted to copy and stretch (horizontally) for a good buddy of mine. They told me, curtly, that they had no output files. No DXF. No cut file. No anything. Basically that you pay for and download the file and it goes directly to the machine- and no output that could be modified or changed.... this was only 2 months ago. I was very disappointed in their lack of customer service and lack of logical market position.

Frankly, I think I made the absolute best decision in working with people like the ShopBot team and the fine people on this forum that have assisted me and SO MANY others to achieve the little projects that we have all had difficulties with...

All the best to all of you!

MGM

Brady Watson
07-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Read about STL Export:

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_DEC_2010.pdf

-B

bob_reda
07-15-2012, 08:07 PM
I had one of the prototypes of the carvewright. If I remember I was able to size the file, add multiple files to one carving and go ahead and carve it. If you look at it for $1500 you get the carving machine and software to do some pretty cool stuff. compare that to the $10,000 shopbot with some cool software and some $2500-$10,000 cool 3d software and you see where the difference is.

Bob

Brady Watson
07-15-2012, 09:42 PM
A lot of CW owners make the transition to a ShopBot after they realize the limitations of them. They are a neat little piece of kit no doubt, but you are not going to rely on it to make a living...It just isn't production duty. I think it's a great little machine to wet your feet with to see if you are ready to take the CNC plunge for real.

-B

Doug Haffner
07-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Well, I can't speak for anyone but myself....I started my business with the CarveWright. I produced a huge number of dimensional pieces with it and have earned enough to make the shopbot jump a reality. For me, it was much more than a toy. I've used it for almost 5 years with few problems or hiccups. Replaced the brushes on the motor I used it so much!