PDA

View Full Version : About to that the Plunge

crash5050
07-16-2012, 08:50 AM
I am about to buy a PRS Standandard 96x48 with a PC Router. Before I jump into this, can I get some kind of info on how powerful this thing is? What are the feeds and speeds for say cutting MDF or a basic hardwood like oak? Are there any drawbacks to the Standard over the Alpha? I am a one man operation, not looking to make big bucks, just supplement my retirement. I also need to find a good place to buy bits.

David

CNYDWW
07-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Hello David,

I couldn't comment on the current models due to the fact i have and older PRT and with a controller i built myself. I do know that the new PRS Standard is faster and more powerful then my PRT simply due to the current power supply and drivers. I can cut solid Red Oak at approx. 90 inches a minuet without issues using a 1/4" onstrud upcut spiral bit at 1/8" per pass. Cutting cabinet grade plywood i can run up to 150 inches a min. at 3/16 per pass with a two flute down cut spiral.

As far as the alpha vs. the standard, it's a whole different world as far as speed goes. Due to the alpha's closed loop steppers, it can cut and run faster then the standards. It will keep track of its own location. If you run a standard machine at the same speeds it will not be nearly as accurate.

As far as choosing which to spend your money on, figure your budget and see if you can afford the alpha and make sure the cost increase is acceptable. As far as the rest, do you absolutely need a spindle? Not always but you can upgrade later. Also, have you taken a look for a used machine or not?

Otherwise, let some others chime in on their feeds and speeds etc.

Regards
Randy

jerry_stanek
07-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Where are you going to put this machine? If it is going into an attached garage or basement I would get a spindle over the router. I have a table with a router and one with a spindle and the spindle wins out all the time just for the noise issues. The spindle I have is the 2.2 and it has more power than the 3.5 router. I have the full collet set and it is nice to be able to use any size bits.

crash5050
07-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Can't afford the spindle just yet. I have a 2x4 machine that I built in there now, and it is pretty quiet. I have the shop well insulated. You can't even hear it outsid ethe door. I am running a Hitachi 2 1/3 HP router on it.

Brady Watson
07-16-2012, 11:03 AM
The PRS Standards are pretty nice tools. They have all the hardware that the Alphas do, except they don't have as much torque or speed. The gap is not as wide as it used to be with older machines, in terms of cutting performance. In fact, the router is what is going to limit your cutting speed, not the drive system. The PC router just can't keep up with what the tool can do.

The Standard tools will do everything that the Alphas can do in terms of cutting movement...you'll just be doing it a little slower. In some cases, it makes no difference what drive system you have, you'll be cutting at the same speed regardless. Either way, the Standard will run circles around whatever you have now - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

-B

GlenP
07-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Hey David. Welcome the the forum. I operate a one man shop and use a 2007 PRS standard machine. I cut mdf, melamine, sign materials and solid wood with the machine. All the above are right about difference in machines, the alpha is faster and more robust when it comes to drives, motors etc. Means faster cutting and better production times. If you are like me fast production is not what I am aiming for in my machine. I like the fact that is can do things quicker and better than I can with hand or smaller power tools and If I need more than one...no problem. In my opinion the standard machine should do you fine....but then you will get the bug to upgrade. :D

If you haven't seen one yet call shopbot to get info on a botter that will demo for you. You are welcome to email me and I will answer any questions you may have. I also use the PC router and yes it is louder than spindle but I don't mind. I usually have other tools running anyway to add to the noise. I use Onsrud bits and Precise Bits for my cutting.

jerry_stanek
07-16-2012, 04:18 PM
My PRS standard does everything that I want an Alpha would be nice but for me it wouldn't pay to get. If you have the money for an Alpha I think I would drop back and get a standard with a spindle and save a little money.

crash5050
07-17-2012, 01:18 PM
The plunge hath been taken, I have plunged, plunging commenced. Bot is ordered.

billp
07-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Welcome aboard new plungee...

crash5050
07-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Now, all I have to do is get Glen to teach me how to make those doors and cabinets that he has on his website.

crash5050
07-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Now we wait, 4 weeks for delivery....Some assembly required.