PDA

View Full Version : Sign for a buddy

MogulTx
07-17-2012, 03:35 PM
The guy next door has a building that he is using banners stretched over plywood for his building sign. He has often assisted me- and I wanted to do something nice for him. If I was going to route out some lettering for him from a heavy sign foam- what would I need to find? I don't do anything in the sign arena... and I told him so.

I told him I would do it for the costs of a couple sheets of foam- so that it was not going to be too dramatic of an expense for him...

Can you guys point me to the right kind of foams? I am thinking of routing, and then priming it for him and he can do the hand painting of the letters, etc. I do design stuff all the time, and one of the guys in my office can design any fancy 3D stuff that I might dream up ( not real likely. He just needs a sign that does not look like he is half-ways in business!)

Thanks in advance.

MGM

genek
07-17-2012, 06:49 PM
hdu is sign foam... boy is it expensive.. get in touch with bill palumbo... he is on here all the time also go to the sign forum... it is posted here also.

billp
07-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Eugene is pointing you in the right direction, the sign forum-
http://www.3dsignforum.com/
They should be able to give you the most current pricing ($$$$$) and locations where to buy it. HDU is NOT cheap, but depending on your specific application you might be able to find other materials that would also do a nice job...

tuck
07-19-2012, 12:12 PM
3/4" MDO would be a relatively inexpensive alternative to HDU. Ask Joe Crumely. He's on here all the time....;)

joe
07-19-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm with Mark on using MDO.

I've been getting some excellent quality MDO in the last month or so. It's at least 1/4 the price and has much better quality for holding screws and doesn't warp.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

MogulTx
07-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Let me show my ignorance a little bit...

I know MDF is Medium Density Fiberboard... so MDO is Medium Density XXXX?

I am just not familiar with it. ( And yes, I am going to run to the search engine on here next and then to google if that does not edumukate me enuf...:o)

MogulTx
07-19-2012, 11:31 PM
OK. Didn't find it here, but Google got me an answer in a nanosecond. Medium Density Overlay Panel... plywood core with a smooth panel on the face. Does a good job of weathering, apparently. I actually cut some of this one time for a guy with a BigFoot or some name like it... kit CNC router. I wonder if he ever got that machine up and running...

It looks like it might do a good job. I THINK the local big box stores have this- or there is a specialty wood place that I can surely get a couple sheets. To add dimension, do you do cut outs of letters and place them on top of the main sheet stock? That is kind of the height I am thinking of... a letter that stands out 3/4-1" from the face of the sign, so it does not look like his banners-stretched-over-plywood solution that he currently uses.

Thanks very much!

MGM

Brady Watson
07-19-2012, 11:36 PM
It looks like it might do a good job. I THINK the local big box stores have this- or there is a specialty wood place that I can surely get a couple sheets.

MGM

Don't plan on the box stores having MDO. You should seek out a sign supplier or good plywood supplier in your area. I get MDO 1/2" to 1.375" thick from HarborSales.net

-B

joe
07-20-2012, 07:30 AM
I should have mentioned:

MDO is available at you local sign supply. The price will vary depending if it's single or double sided. You want the two sided board and it's best to purchase with a white coat. That coat is NOT a good finished coating. You'll need to give it your own finish coat.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com