PDA

View Full Version : coffee counters

carlhopkins
08-11-2012, 11:35 PM
I make quite a few things with raised panels. I really think they look nice and I try to be creative with the way they align. I really wanted to do a carving on these units but with where they went I thought best not to.
Currently these units are located in the atrium at my church. A fellow member paid for them it is for a ministry that helps support coffee growers in Honduras to try to prevent child labor and to pay a fair wage.

myxpykalix
08-12-2012, 07:36 AM
What a beautiful piece of furniture....i mean art! great job

carlhopkins
08-12-2012, 04:12 PM
wow, thanks Jack, I looked over at the smilies to find one that would work but they are all way to small at this point!

pkirby
08-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Carl,
It looks great! It's pretty cool that it's being used to help prevent child labor in Honduras.

steve_g
08-13-2012, 03:50 AM
Carl

I love the color! Please tell me more about the wood/finish.

SG

carlhopkins
08-13-2012, 06:33 AM
thanks Paul, Steve

I have used Fuhr products since day one, all waterborne.
The wood is #2 cherry really some knotty left overs from shorts even.
The stain is the 135 series antique cherry.
The top seal/coat is 345 satin, which is a varnish.
Since Fuhr sold out I will be buying from http://www.hunterpaint.com/

I dampen a sponge with water, spray the stain on and drag wipe any excess off. The dry time is very short seal, scuff and top coat.
Scuffing I use an old worn out 5" disk with 320, a 3m wrapped with 320 and then a 3m scotch bright to get in the details and go over all areas.
I have used the conditioner which I have been told is simply the stain base without color but most times not as on this project.

Photos tend to make it look a bit orange and the location has lots of sunlight pouring. I may go in later after sundown when I can control the lighting.

Again thanks guys!

carlhopkins
08-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Steve,
I love that color too, the profiles as well. If you have looked at the other things I am posting well it's all the same.
I have done a number of jobs and folks really do like it. I take them out to see and they fall in love with it.