PDA

View Full Version : Our First Product (Not Much) Table Top

BTP
08-21-2012, 10:23 AM
So, I sell restaurant furniture online. I decided I wanted to start making my own products this year. So got a 4896 standard.
We have been playing, cutting etc. Never finished a table top before.

We are in Tampa FL, and have the RNC here next week. The news station needed a 2 24" round highboy tables for their setup there. When he was on the way over there, I told my employee "I am going to sell him a top we make".
He got there and I showed him a 4x8 plywood sheet that we stained espresso, and sold him on us making the tops out of that.

This was last tuesday. At that time all it seemed like we would have to do is cut & T-mold the wood.
Well, it was not as easy as we thought. 12 tops & 5 days later, with 12 hours to spare, we had 2 tops that were satisfactory.

The first product we made, and sold will be at the RNC 2012 convention.

Here is a picture of one of the ones that were not satisfactory, they have already picked up the good ones.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16086&stc=1&d=1345558060

beacon14
08-21-2012, 08:48 PM
What was wrong with that one?

You have learned the first lesson of CNC (or any new manufacturing process) - best to get the hang of it first, then sell what you know you can make. Selling something you've never made before, especially with a deadline, is asking for trouble.

At least it was just a couple of small tables, not a reception desk or the like.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience and picture. Welcome to the forum.

Ajcoholic
08-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Is it the finishing that is the issue or the contruction/machining?

BTP
08-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Is it the finishing that is the issue or the contruction/machining?

It's the finishing. We had never stained or poly'd before. PLUS its cheap china birch.

And, I do not have a dedicated room etc. The machining has been pretty easy. Its not that hard to cut flat shapes though.

Ajcoholic
08-23-2012, 09:37 PM
It's the finishing. We had never stained or poly'd before. PLUS its cheap china birch.

And, I do not have a dedicated room etc. The machining has been pretty easy. Its not that hard to cut flat shapes though.

Ok that makes sense. Unfortunately, finishing is not allways the easiet thing to learn... without knowing what facilities or products you are trying to apply, its hard to suggest anything.

If you are serious about getting into finishing, you should look for help... is there any smaller manufacturers you could talk to or even pay to get you started?

Maybe the best bet would be to speak to a dealer for stains and finishes in your area, tell them what you are trying to do and get a recommended product(s) for you to try.

AJC