View Full Version : sanding

twelchPTM
08-23-2012, 05:25 PM
anyone tried using there bot to sand table tops?

gerryv
08-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Very interested in this question as well as I'm wondering if I can replace my 50" double drum sander with a 'bot head, even if it is slower.

I'm now considering having a prototype/machine shop build me a bracket to mount a large Festool orbital sander onto my Z axis. If it mounts onto the moving part of the Z I would want to design in a down pressure sensor in case of a programming error that would cause a dive. It might be better to mount it to the portion of the Z car that does not move vertically and build in a manual height/pressure adjusting wheel to eliminate killing the Festool with an unplanned dive.

The Festool Rotex 150 is expensive but does course sanding very aggressively for a portable but also does fine and polish sanding. Unfortunately, because of it's unusual shape building a "holder" would be no easy task to design and fabricate. Wonder if Brady could scan it?

Any easier to achieve ideas?

twelchPTM
01-28-2013, 09:37 PM
i've gotten it to work, sort of. I have a pc router on my bot so I had to use a very small sanding pad(I imagine with e speed control of a spindle you can slow the rpm's down enough to use a larger pad) and you can't apply any pressure with out a spring loaded shaft but if you spring load your shaft your workpiece has to be dead flat to begin with.

All and all it is possible but it would not be productive or cost effective

gene
01-29-2013, 12:10 AM
Get a floor sander that uses 4 random orbital sanders and make a mount to hook it to the bot:rolleyes: