PDA

View Full Version : Moving the Shopbot

artisan
08-23-2003, 11:40 AM
Okay....I'm finally moving into a larger shop and it's time to move the Bot. I'd love to hear if there's any major problems, gremlins or any constructive thoughts, advice or ideas from anyone who has done this. I'm pretty confident (nervous laughter).....but I'm SURE I'm forgetting something, Thanks....D

beacon14
08-24-2003, 12:23 PM
I just moved my old machine as part of the sale of the machine to its new owners. The main thing is to remember where all the wires go. They rented a U-haul with a flat floor - no wheel wells - and we just lifted the whole thing on to the truck - the only dissassembly was the wires. If you have a steel table, you just need major manpower. It's worth the effort to avoid major dissassembly.
After the move, do the initial run-through as specified in the assembly manual: test each motor separately, especially the 2 x-motors, to make sure they both go in the same direction, and double check for squareness of the x-carriage and plumbness of the z-carriage. It's also a good time to check all bolts and fittings for tightness.
The machine can take it.
Good luck

artisan
08-24-2003, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the tips David....I'm kind of looking at it as a chance to check everything out and re-align everything. I've looked over the travels and ways....they all seem to be wearing nicely...and straight. I have an older model hybrid with new controls....PR/PRT model. All my cables are labeled already. I'm thinking of just trying to remove the Z car...and carrying everything else out in tact. My controls are already in a positive pressure cabinet and on wheels....so they'll move easily....I'm just apprehensive....I use this thing so much....D

gerald_d
08-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Darrell, It all depends on how rough, wet, dusty your move will be. Be gentle, keep it dry, clean and you'll be okay.

magickeith
08-24-2003, 08:46 PM
I moved mine last year by removing the X motors and lifting off the gantry assy., placed a piece of plywood on the gantry and laid my controller on top of it, coiled up all of the wiring (still wired up), unbolted the long z axis wire carrier and laid it down. I shrink wrapped this whole mess down and my 19 yr old son and I lifted it off and carried it up out of our basement. One thing I do remember is it was VERY, VERY heavy. I was working in a transmission shop at the time and am fairly strong and used to lifting heavy objects, but it was really more than we should have attempted alone and probably risked injury.

Moral of story is it was very quick to reassemble this way but recruit sufficient help ahead of time. It is much heavier than it looks. Four men would not be overkill to move the fully assembled gantry that far. Two guys can do it, but I don't recommend it for more than a very short lift and carry.

Good luck with the move.
Keith

jay_mack1@hotmail.com
08-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Has anyone put a shopbot table on lockable casters, so as to a create a moveable station/table.

gerald_d
08-25-2003, 03:45 PM
Stickman, see the last post in this thread (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/7/928.html?1045838485).

magickeith
08-26-2003, 08:25 AM
Not on a shopbot but I have mounted four 2000lb trailer jacks, the ones with a caster wheel under the post to each corner of a Vytek (2500lb machine). We can crank up each corner and roll it out of the way, then roll it back to the same spot and crank it back down. ShopBot is much lighter would probably work even better. The Vytek was so heavy we had to weld the swivel plates to remove play and eliminate sway. Available at Harbour Freight or similar for about $20 ea.

artisan
10-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Just an update. I started this thread 2 months ago....and the Bot is FINALLY moved into our new HQ and I am typing this from the new office. Everything went well as I just removed the dual z Y-Car....and used brute force (4 brutes) to carry the table intact. The Bot is now square and level and the new HPDE base platform is being leveled as I type this...I will install an MDF spoilboard afterwards. Thanks for the support....D

tms
05-25-2004, 10:06 AM
I have a PRT 96 which, for logistical reasons, needs to move about 5 feet in my shop. Any suggestions on how to best accomplish this? Thanks. - Tom

artisan
05-25-2004, 10:57 AM
I suggest Brute force and as little disruption as possible. My controls are in a positive pressure cabinet on wheels and so they move easily. You'll have to check for square and level afterwards, but moving everything intact with about 6 guys (brutes) would be by far the least invasive way I think....D

robtown
05-25-2004, 11:03 AM
I moved mine about 16 feet with 5 guys. We simply slid it to it's new location and I spent about 2-3 hours leveling the table, and resurfacing my spoilboard.

One little tip, the guys pulling from the front should watch thier toes, the crossmember on the legs is awfully low and I almost got my toes caught under it... ;)

donchapman
05-25-2004, 12:47 PM
My 8' machine is on a framing lumber support frame which rolls on 4 heavy-duty casters. I store 4x8' sheets of materials on a shelf under the machine. Over the past few years I have moved this heavy machine, frame, and materials frequently by myself from one end of my workshop to the other. The computer etc. is on a separate kitchen-type rolling cart, so I just move the ShopBot a few feet and then the cart, and watch out for the wires. I mainly use my ShopBot for routed signs which are of quality cabinetmaking tolerances, not machinist tolerances, but moving has never required releveling. My Z axis might be off 1/16" over 8 feet. Not perfect, but as an old master carpenter I used to work with often said: "A one-eyed man on a fast horse would never notice the difference."

wayneo
05-25-2004, 12:51 PM
I recently moved my PRT96 about 18" by my self on a concrete floor. Was easy once I figured out how... I used a pry-bar to raise each foot off the floor a tiny bit while inserting a strip of thin UHMD (slick plastic stuff). Do this on each foot. Then you can basically slide the whole bot the length of the UHMD. Make sure the length of the UHMD is in the direction you want to move the bot. Then all I had to do was check for square & level.....

Brady Watson
05-25-2004, 01:49 PM
I have a 5X16 PRT machine and I put a hydraulic car jack against the block wall and used lumber to pack it out as it moved. It was easy and I did it by myself.

-Brady

kaaboom_99
05-26-2004, 12:34 AM
I have moved my 4x8 slate pool table by placing under it a 6x6x10 piece of lumber and under that, an automotive trolley jack. Jack it up and roll it anywhere you wish.
My experience.

tms
05-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Thanks to all of you who responded with suggestions for moving the machine. - Tom