PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Sample Suggestions

jlawren6
11-02-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm looking for some ideas on simple marketing samples that I can give to my local sign shops, cabinet shops, and contractors when I pay them a first visit in the near future in the hopes of using my PRT96 for more than just a hobby. Building on suggestions made at the Midwest Camp this year, I’d like to leave whoever I’m visiting with something that displays many of the capabilities of the Shopbot, is something they can actually use, and that is personalized to them or their business. The idea being that when they see it everyday they will make the connection to who made it and keep me in mind. With my recent acquisition of VCarve Wizard, I’ve been working on some small desktop plaques for this like the one below.

The thought here was to mount the plaque/sign on a simple base that would hold a small notepad, pen, and business cards. As is usually the case with me, I think I might be taking this a little too far. Keeping the plaque small enough to be used on a desk or counter (currently it’s about 8” L x 6” H) makes getting all the detail in the plaque more difficult. Finishing these small details will also present a challenge, which I have not figured out yet. The appeal of a desktop item was that it did not require any work on their part to use like mounting a larger sign or coat rack version would. Material choice has also been a question. I’ve been doing my test cuts in MDF, but some type of “real” wood would seem more appropriate given the work the target businesses do. My test cuts in Cherry and Sassafras last night though left me a lot of tear out in a few areas.

So, am I completely off base here? Is there a better approach I might take? I’ve thought of making a sample board that incorporates various design elements (curve cuts, raised letters, straight Vcarving, etc) that I could take along with me, but that has no real use beyond that.

This would be a whole lot easier if I had a clearer idea of what area I wanted to work in. Right now though, I’m just taking the shotgun approach and spending as much free time every night working with the Shopbot as I can to learn what I can and can’t do. Other events have made turning this hobby into something that provides some income a more pressing issue. One of those being the fact that the automotive division I work for is up on the auction block and the future in my current job is not very promising. The second being the upcoming arrival of mine and my wife’s second in late December which will put a significant dent in my shop time for a bit.

I’d appreciate any suggestions to go along with the great info in the other threads along these lines that I’ve already read.

Thanks,

Jon

jsfrost
11-02-2005, 10:48 AM
I have not finished, but I working on a design for a business card holder that I can leave when I make a cold call. This would be prebuilt in modest quantity and later personalized with the business name. If the design works out, the files will be available.

Jim

mikejohn
11-02-2005, 11:08 AM
I made a quantity of these for a local firm.
The photo (which isnt very good) shows an early prototype.
The final ones were stained and wax polished to give an antique feel
I also made wooden awards for their salesmen of the year type thing

............Mike

gerald_d
11-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Jon, if I was you, I'd leave an unfinished (straight off the Bot) something with them. They don't want to see you as a potential threat - finished goods is their business. You want to offer them something they cannot do themselves.

den73160
11-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Jon, I agree with Gerald_D about the the unfinished something. I don't think I would go so far as say something that they cannot do themselves. Maybe it is something that they do that requires alot of time and man hours that you can do for them.

My two cents.

den73160
11-03-2005, 12:12 AM
Jon, I have just drop off small 8"x10" example of cabinet door at local lumberyard which has name and number engraved. It's a win win for the lumberyard. Giving lumberyard an opportunity to sell more product and the personnel there someone to call for work and anyone who sees it the same opportunity.

wemme
11-03-2005, 12:34 AM
Gidday. I find what people are doing here very interesting.
I was thinking of making a Business card out of thin MDF (or similar) v carved with contact details and art work etc making sure the edges are tappered so that it will still fit into a card file.

At the moment I am making name plates for desks. these are made from old (60-80 years old) weatherd farm fence posts. The original weatherd feature is still on the top and back. The surface has just been wirebrushed to remove the dirt, moss and is then oiled to bring out the colour. the wirebrushing doesn't effect the texture.

P.S. would be good if the forum would accept 640x480 images as this is a normal size. rather than the 400x400 that is currently allowed.

jlawren6
11-03-2005, 07:32 AM
A lot of good practical advice from everyone (as usual). I like the unfinished part idea. It makes a lot of sense and certainly simplifies things. I also hadn't thought of lumberyards as a potential source of business, but I will definintly add them to the list.

Since I've never worked in any of these areas before (been in Engineering my whole career), I think I'll pursue the generic sample board idea and start with that for now. Hopefully, that will give me a chance to talk about the various designs and methods on it while I'm there and then learn more about what each company does to see where things like that might make sense for them. I could offer to make targeted samples for whoever is interested then to show the benefits to them. Now I just have to settle on a design and overall size.

Dennis - Was your sample of an MDF style door or something else?

Thanks to everyone for the help. I'll post what I come up with here when I get it ready.

Jon

den73160
11-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Jon,

The example that I made was just a peice of 3/4" cdx plywood that I had laying around, but I also have made some out of 1/2" mdf that I am going to take to some builders.

rcnewcomb
11-03-2005, 11:08 PM
This is an example of a business cardholder we have been using for first time visits. We put the prospect's business name on the card holder, cut a slot in the middle that holds business cards and put our logo and phone number on the other side.

We place our business card in the slot and hand the item to them with their business name towards them.

We have been cutting these out of hard maple or ash. The rough edges on this example are from an experiment with a v-bit.

jhicks
11-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Many nice ideas here. With our sign opportunities, cabinet builders, and lumber yards we use photos & marketing fliers with a clooection of previous work, materials, and cutting styles. Samples are definately nice especially if free but I haven't found them to be of any help in getting orders that sales calls and photos didn't suffice. The one material I would recommend is Color Core for a quick "cut and ship" material requiring no special finishing or paint with proper bits. Check the post under "sign making" on Color Core survey for web site and details.
I usually carry samples for show & tell but rarely leave any free work behind. A Picture of is worth a thousand word. Our experience has been that IF they need something it is special anyway and they still call when something comes up.