View Full Version : diamond drag

twelchPTM
08-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Wondering if anyone has used the widgetworks diamond drag engraving bit and could give me some feedback. wondering how/where you set your zzero and how well it actually works.

jerry_stanek
08-30-2012, 07:54 PM
I use mine on glass I set the zero to the top of material and scribe at 1/32

frank134
08-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi jerry. I was wondering if you could show us some of your work you did with the bit. Is it worth it. I want to do some glass door.

twelchPTM
08-31-2012, 12:49 PM
what I don't understand is if you set the bit at zero, how does it cut into the material and how does it maintain depth over slightly uneven/unflat serfaces?

ssflyer
08-31-2012, 01:54 PM
Hi Thomas,

I believe Jerry means that he zeroes to the top and sets the depth of cut at 1/32"

Here's a couple of images that I used the drag bit on - I did 150 of these small jars (slightly convex cutting area, with lower case text about 0.09" tall) in a custom jig I cut with the ShopBot.

While the camera flash really highlights some small chips in the etch, they are completely invisible to the naked eye - at least mine! :)

Glass is hard. Depending on the size of your job, I'd recommend getting an extra diamond point or two. You can compensate for a while by increasing the pressure, but a sharp bit makes for better cuts.

jerry_stanek
08-31-2012, 02:03 PM
The bit is spring loaded

twelchPTM
08-31-2012, 02:03 PM
What I'm working with right now is .25" polycarbonate. The thickness tolerance is +/-.003.
So if the point that I set my zero at happens to be the thickest part of the sheet there is a .006" difference to the lowest point. So how does the bit compensate for that?

twelchPTM
08-31-2012, 02:05 PM
it makes sense to me that if i zeroed at the lowest point the spring allows the bit to ride up but I can't wrap my head around how it would ride down if zeroed from a high point.

twelchPTM
08-31-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm really sorry I feel like a dummy because of this but I think I figured out a better way to ask my question... If I zero my bit at any given point on the sheet, then dial the pressure to (for arguments sake) 1. The tool will maintain a constant pressure of 1 wheathe rthe thickness of the sheet goes up or down (within a realistic varience).
As long as thats what it does I'm good, I don't really care "how" it maintains the pressure, it could be a little gremlin sitting on the bit for all I care I just need to be able to engrave on a less then perfect surface.