PDA

View Full Version : cabinet jacks.

michael_schwartz
09-04-2012, 11:29 PM
I made these cabinet jacks recently, and they work so well that using them is almost cheating. They are a based on a design, I saw in a youtube video.

All they are, are a plywood support, with an inside out deep reach pipe clamp, and a wall flange.

http://www.amazon.com/56-Reach-Clamp-Spreader-Fixture/dp/B0000DD1QW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346815198&sr=8-1&keywords=pony+deep+reach+pipe+clamp

Total cost to make a set is about $50.00-60.00 + a few hours of sweat equity.

They can be micro adjusted easily, and then the added benefit is that you can really push a box tight up to to a ceiling, or soffit. I built mine so that they can be adjusted from about 14" to 20"+

myxpykalix
09-05-2012, 01:52 AM
There is nothing more fun then starting a screw in the back of the cabinet then hoisting it up trying to hold it level and in the right height with one hand while trying to hook the screw with your screwgun and hope you hit a stud (most times you miss:eek:)

If i know i'm going to redo the area below i just screw a furring strip up and rest it on that but this is a much better solution:D Good job!

In looking at your design it seems to me that your maximum height adjustment is limited to the length of your wingscrew, correct?
In order to give yourself some extra height adjustment couldn't you make some 1-2" high pieces the thickness of your square base on top, take and cut out a notch so it sits around the pipe flat on the top, under the orange adjuster and wingscrew and then gives you that added height. You could even have dowels and holes to keep it there and keep adding on for more height without losing the same amount of holding length inside the jig....

ken_rychlik
09-05-2012, 12:48 PM
I find it easier to mount the wall cabinets first. I use a genie lift. It is kind of like a dolly with a platform that raises with a hand crank on the back of it. Best helper I ever had.

twelchPTM
09-05-2012, 01:07 PM
very cool idea but i agree with ken, mount the wall cabs first so your not climbing over the floor cabs. I use a drywall lift but I'm thinking what you have ther could be modded to work from the floor and that would save a lot of space in the truck.

michael_schwartz
09-05-2012, 04:44 PM
I prefer to install bases first for various reasons. That is my personal preference though I have done it both ways. There is certainly nothing wrong with uppers first if that is your preferred method.

I think the basic idea could work for a floor standing jack. I might make an adaptation to lift refrigerator cabinet.

I am always looking for ways to save room in my truck. Carpenters, plumbers, and electricians, etc... have it all figured out. I don't cart tools around every day, so it is more of a challenge to transport everything necessary for even a small project.

kevin
09-07-2012, 06:15 PM
The jacks are a good idea if your working alone

I think its better to install bottoms first and i design it that way making the tops a little smaller .I like it that way because if i find 1 inch different from one end to the other I can adjust the uppers

I know on home improvement show they do uppers first

What I use for to install the uppers is a picie of plywood strip screw to the wall as an edge.It also lets you try the screws so don't have missed screws I hate missed screws.

Micheal your quality of cabinet material look first class

kevin
09-07-2012, 06:20 PM
I forgot to mention i try to keep uppers close the wall as tight as possible with out twisting the cabinet .The reason is if you put on a side piece you can end up with a v

erniek
09-08-2012, 07:11 PM
FastCap make a nice cabinet jack called Little Hand. Good for installing uppers.
http://www.amazon.com/FastCap-Little-Support-16-5-Inch-22-8-Inch/dp/B000067S13/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347145730&sr=8-1&keywords=little+hand