PDA

View Full Version : "Failed to open file" message by PartWorks

steve_g
09-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem... "Failed to open file" message by PartWorks with a code 1 or a code 3. I've tried moving the files to another drive in case It was the drive failing... that didn't help.

SG

dana_swift
09-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Steve, that can happen when you have two versions of PartWorks installed on your computer.

If Windows associates the file with the old EXE, but you create it with the new version the message can appear.

That may not be your problem, but its easy enough to solve-

Solution 1) Uninstall the old version. (you dont need it now anyhow)
Solution 2) Right click the file you are trying to open, and in the "open with" menu "browse" to the NEW version of PartWorks. Check the box "always use this choice".. and the problem will go away.

If the problem isn't that, I don't have any suggestions.

D

steve_g
09-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Dana

I thought perhaps you had it right... these files were created with PartWorks 2.0. But Alas, that wasn't the issue. Checking confirmed I only have one version of PW on my machine... and reassociating them didn't help either. A friends Aspire also will not open them. They must be damaged...

Thanks for the help!

dana_swift
09-11-2012, 01:06 PM
sounds like time to call the friendly folks in England..

They offer as outstanding technical support as SB! I bet they figure it out..

D

steve_g
09-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Quick update here:

An e-mail to Vectric support brought an overnight response from Mark Moran. The following is a short clip from that message:

"Usually with the error codes that you mention, the files are corrupt.
By far the biggest cause of corrupt files is a result of saving files directly to a USB memory thumbdrive
and the removal of the thumbdrive whilst the file was still open in the application.
But if you would like to send us a couple of the files, we can verify whether the files are intact."

My issues were not thumb-drive related... this time. With net drives, cloud storage, virtual drives and physical drives it can be hard to track actual locations of files... I believe I have tracked all instances of failure to a physical drive that is getting rather old. When I get a new computer I hook up old drives as slaves... naturally these files predate my mirrored net drive. I guess there is a reason I decided to try to organize six years of random file creation!

SG