PDA

View Full Version : Crown Molding

sebago_signworks
09-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Hello. I am not familiar with many types of wood as in the sign business we no longer use it. I want to fab some crown molding for my dining room. What should I use. I do not want to have great detail. Just basic but with the letter "F" incorporated in it. I want the finish color to be white. Any advise would be appreciated.

thanks

gene
09-17-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm lost about the f part. as for machining crown you can buy crown at the local building supplier cheaper than you can make it, at least thats here . 3 5/8 crown .35 per lf

sebago_signworks
09-18-2012, 08:00 AM
thanks for the reply Gene. I was not clear. I wanted to include the letter "F" (for Fahie) in the design scheme for the molding. I know its cheaper to purchase. I am just doing it for the satisfaction!

MogulTx
09-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Good for you Devin. I do a LOT of things because I want to be the one who accomplished it, and I want that level of satisfaction!

bleeth
09-19-2012, 04:03 AM
For paint grade moliding that will carve relatively decenty you can use poplar. You can also use MDF.

Depending on the piece of poplar you may get some fuzzies but should get nothing that won't sand fine after your primer coat. For MDF you will need to seal it after cutting so your coats don't keep soaking in. MDF seals with Shellac pretty easily, but for your purposes Killz may work just fine.

Personally, I don't like mdf moldings but thought I would throw it out there as it is a possiblity. If you do go that route make sure you back prime it as well.

bobmoore
09-19-2012, 06:40 PM
There are some inexpensive hardwoods that carve and/or finish great. I would certainly look at one of the ashes either white or black. Soft maple is another, silver or red. There may be others in your neck of the woods that I am not familiar with. I hope you haven't lost all of your ashes to the emerald ash borer yet, they are getting close to us in northern WI.
Bob

phil_o
09-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Hi Devin,

we met at the camp at your shop. We spent a few minutes with Aspire on your computer.
I have two suggestions for your crown molding idea.
1. Make a separate part, sort of like a keystone, with the letter "F" in an appropriate font and install it between two lengths of crown molding.
2. Buy crown molding from a lumberyard, have the profile scanned so you can use Aspire to lay the letter "F" into the purchased molding.

Phil

paul_z
09-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Great idea Phil!

Instead of the usual scanning, you might cut a thin cross section of the crown molding. Lay it on a document scanner with a ruler next to it. Import the bitmap, trace it, smooth it, stretch it if necessary so the ruler image is dead on. You have your profile.

Paul Z

sebago_signworks
09-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Great stuff. Thanks!