View Full Version : Speeds changed

applik
11-28-2007, 07:08 PM
This one has me stumped. Ever since we downloaded the new software 3.5 the speeds that I preset in the ArtCam file are different. For example: I set the xy speed at 4 in ArtCam it comes up 3.98 in the Shopbot program. It does the same to the Z settings. Does anyone know what's up with that?
Shari

Brady Watson
11-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Yes. The newer software has been enhanced to show 2 decimal places instead of one. I don't know the reason why it makes the speed 3.98 instead of 4.00, but it's doubtful that this small deviation will cause any noticable difference.

-B

bcammack
11-29-2007, 08:07 AM
My guess would be rounding errors due to use of floating point variables in the software. That's why financial programs don't use floating point math.

applik
11-29-2007, 11:25 AM
So I take it everyone else is just ignoring this, right? I was a little worried it might be affecting the size and depth of the carvings as well. But if not, no worries. Not sure about this floating point issue. I have my designs "nailed down" and I want them to stay that way! Just Kidding. ;) Hubby knows all that important stuff, I'm just the designer.
thanks for the info,
Shari

Brady Watson
11-29-2007, 01:19 PM
There is only a small deviation in speed. There are no deviations in position...Let's give the SB people a little more credit than that!

-B

applik
11-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Brady,
Sorry, didn't realize I was coming down on the SB people. I was a little concerned why I didn't have the problem with the "older" version but do with the "newer" version. I had no way of knowing that it wasn't changing some other settings as well. That's why I was asking.
thanks again,
Shari