PDA

View Full Version : Your a dirty bit, a dirty, dirty bit...

twelchPTM
10-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Read the title in a "sexy" voice and its much funnier...
But anyway I have been resarching bit and blade cleaners and have found many options and for every option there are reasons why you shouldn't do that or its only good for one thing or another.
I know there are thread on this topic burried deep in anuls of the forum but I am not finding anything new in the old posts. So here goes the question....

What is the best all around bit/blade cleaner and-or cleaning technique?

Brady Watson
10-10-2012, 09:52 PM
I just use acetone and a rag. Some people use Boeshield (http://boeshield.com/features-benefits/blade-and-bit/)

-B

gene
10-10-2012, 11:37 PM
oven cleaner works also. just spray silicone on it after you clean it

twelchPTM
10-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Brady, thanks I never heard of that before but I am reading up on it now
Gene, I have heard of using oven cleaner before but I also read that the oven cleaner can weaken the braze that holds the carbide tip onto the tool/blade. Have you had any issues? How often do you use it?(as in my bit needs to be cleaned but i used oven cleaner x amount of time ago so i'll wait...)

adrianm
10-11-2012, 03:43 AM
I use CMT Formula 2050 on my collets, bits and blades.

dlcw
10-11-2012, 11:28 AM
The only way I know of that the oven cleaner can weaken the braze is if you let the oven cleaner sit on for awhile.

For more then 20 years I've used oven cleaner and have never had a blade fail. Spray on, lightly scrub with a brass wire brush, rinse, dry with compressed air, spray on Bit and Blade Lubricant (grey can). The longest I've ever let the cleaner sit on the bit/blade is about 3 minutes.

twelchPTM
10-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I failed to include the fact that i do alot of work with plastics, will the afore mentioned cleaners take clean that off?

bleeth
10-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Maybe the oven cleaner but probably not. All of the stuff mentioned is pretty much used to take the pitch that builds up from wood.

Brady Watson
10-12-2012, 04:07 PM
You can clean off the plastic residue with either acetone or MEK - you should know that both are relatively nasty to work with, and neither work well with latex gloves. MEK will take powder coating off.

You can also use a brown scotch pad (very fine) to polish the relief portion of the bit, taking care to avoid the leading/cutting edge. If using mostly spiral-O tools, then you can polish 99% of the bit with the scotch pad, avoiding the cutting edge.

I have not tried an ultrasonic cleaner, but it may be a good excuse to pick one up from Horrible Freight and see if it works for you. I know they work really well cleaning all sorts of things using only water.

-B

twelchPTM
10-15-2012, 07:54 PM
i knwo all about the horrible skin degrading, cutical eaters and have work ed with some even nastier one's then those mentioned. Truth is though I never worked in a shop this small before, In the past when bits or blades got dull or dirty they went in the dull and dirty box and "Da-guy" would come pick them up. the ultrasonic sounds like a good ide though and I alsways love an excuse to buy a new tool! Also the O-flutes stay pretty clean in plastic, its the smaller endmills and carbide tools that get the build up from the plastic. Also resently been producing props from 4lb density mini-cell foam which cuts pretty well but makes a sloppy mess on the bit.

feinddj
11-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Simple Green and a brush will clean pitch and whatnot off of a blade without the toxicity of oven cleaner.

D

gerryv
11-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Is there not a risk involved in using silicon?

myxpykalix
11-03-2012, 07:38 PM
I use mineral spirits

Brady Watson
11-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Is there not a risk involved in using silicon?

Only if you are cooking eggs, I think...:rolleyes:

I don't think silicone has any real solvent proerties to it...Wanna try something simple? Vinegar. It's amazing stuff.

Great...now I'm hungry :D

-B

crash5050
11-04-2012, 05:04 PM
mmmmm, Fried egg sandwich... I have become addicted to them .

Brett1970
01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
i cut a ton of melamine with whiteside UD2100 bits, and i get alot of buildup on them, I use a brass brush, then soak them in a sealed plastic bowl of rubbing alcohol. Wipes off in about 2 days.

rb99
01-04-2013, 07:15 PM
I wonder if an ultrasonic cleaner would help?