View Full Version : Upgrading Alpha

jsfrost
06-11-2007, 12:54 PM
The time is approching when I leave my real job and supplement my retirement earnings with the Shopbot. After three years with the machine, I can make it dance and sing although sometimes a bit off key. I have an original Alpha and PC on wood table, which will do all that I ask it, but some jobs could be smoother and need less sanding.

I am considering two changes.

(1) Replacing motors with the PRS version. If you have already done this, how significant were the improvements?

(2) Replacing the PC router with spindle. I have enough hours on the PC that it's time to buy a spare or a replacement. The downside of eeliminating the PC, I won't be able to work just outside the shop and listen for problems and turn off. Other than silence, what will a spindle deliver when compared to PC?

Are there other items that I should consider first? Vacume or steel table or? I am thinking no Vacume because my jobs tend to be smaller and one offs, and I don't plan to change this. I have had full or significantly partial sheets on the table perhaps a dozen times, and think I can continue with screws, clamps, and the pucks I never get to building.

Opinions?

ed_lang
06-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Jim,
I had a PRTalpha96 with a PC7518 to start with.

Now I have a PRTalpha96 with a 4HPHSD and the PRS motors on the X and Y, not the Z. I do use vacuum to hold my parts.

I am going to make a quick stab at your questions.
When I installed the spindle, not only the noise but the quality of cuts improved. I also could dial in the correct speed on the fly and didn't have the speed changes I noticed with the PC router. PC did not have a good speed control in my opinion. I still have it for a spare for the one in my router table. So, I get more torque, better speed control, ability to change speeds, more collet sizes, wrenches that don't slip off the collet nut, quite operation, less runout for better cuts and I am very happy with it.

When I changed out the original X and Y motors I was expecting some better cuts on arcs but I didn't expect as much difference as I got! I just finished cutting some 1/2" baltic birch parts that were 23" in diameter with a 1" hole in the center. I expected to sand the outer edge to get the chatter or stepper motor jitter out. I will not be touching these parts with sandpaper. I could use the parts at templates for a router bit with a bearing to product other parts like them if need be. I am still touching the edges when I walk past them, as they are much better than I imagined they could do. I only cut wood. Not metal or plastic but I expect the metal and plastic guys will notice even more improvement than I did since that material is more reflective than wood.

I wished I had cut this job before and after so I could hold up parts and show you the difference. I now expect a higher level of quality from my machine than I did a couple of weeks ago.

I am not a production shop with the CNC router, but I do one offs and the odd job here and there. Everything I do seems to present me a challenge that I had not run across before.

When I first installed the motors, I moved the machine to the center of the table and ran a CP command. I put my hand on the gantry and it was quite smooth..... Like I had never felt it before. I new I was onto something pretty good here.

Here is wishing you great success in leaving the 9 to 5'ers and on to retirement. I understand when you retire you have less time to play than you do with a job. I don't think I'll ever retire because of that!

Ed

jsfrost
06-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks Ed,

This backs up what I thought based on reading the forum. Before I spent the money I needed a second opinion.

Jim

harryball
06-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Ed,

When you replace the stepper motors for the PRS upgrade (which Chris recently suggested I do and would like to do when I get the cash) do you have to replace the tracks on the bot as well? Or just the motors and they run in the same track?

Jim,
Get a spindle, you'll never go back. The consistent power and precision is well worth the upgrade. A router turns a bit, a spindle commands a bit.

Robert

Brady Watson
06-12-2007, 09:03 AM
You only need to replace the motors & drivers in the box, and pinions to 30T. That's it.

The upgrade is practically a give away...the pinions alone are $150 for the set...and they last MUCH longer.

Get ready to have a completely new tool when you do the upgrade. The difference in quality/performance is remarkable.

-B

harryball
06-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Yep, I want to upgrade but I just spent the cash on a Delta DC380 3HP 15" planer. It is practically new, original blades are in perfect shape. I got the planer, mobile stand, extension roller tables, extra set of blades, 4" dust port attachment, manual and all wrenches for $700. While I wanted to spend that money on the upgrade for the bot, the reality is that the bot was working and my previous planer wasn't up to the job. I guess that's the nature of business, life and everything else huh?

Has anyone heard about the upgrade to the new gantry yet? I'd really like to upgrade the motors and gantry to the new design.

Robert

Brady Watson
06-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Robert,
Ted mentioned upgrading existing systems briefly at the Jamboree. I believe that the cost was $3995 for new gantry and rails. I am not certain if that included motors or not. You'll want to check with ShopBot to be sure. There's a bit more to it than just plopping the gantry on the machine like previous upgrades.

-B

ed_lang
06-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Robert,

Brady covered your qustions to me exactly as I would have said it. I am posting only so you will know I was going to do so but Brady had time first.

The motor upgrade is about on the same level as befoe a ShopBot to having a ShopBot. It is that good.

harryball
06-12-2007, 04:23 PM
I'll start nope saving my cash for the motors. I wouldn't go that much for the entire gantry if it goes that much. I was hoping it'd be a bit less since my bot already has the aluminum side rails.

Thanks guys,
Robert

jsfrost
06-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Gentlemen,

Thanks again for all the answers.

My new motors are on order, and the spindle is waiting for answers from my electrician. (My shop is a 50 Amp feed from my house service, and I am not sure if the added load for spindle can be supported or what the cost may be for upgrading.)
Jim

richards
06-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Jim,
I'm running a PRT-Alpha with 3hp Colombo spindle, 2-Fein vacuums and a 2-HP dust collector from a 240VAC 50A subpanel. Besides those pieces of equipment that are almost always running together, I have the lights, computer, and misc. other equipment (drill press, bandsaw, 10" disk/belt sander, 3-1/4 hp router table mounted, vertical mill, etc.), that sometimes run while the Alpha is doing its thing. So far, I've never tripped a breaker.