PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Boxes

feinddj
10-21-2012, 10:59 PM
There was a thread here a while back and I had some 2 inch thick walnut so here is my take on a wooden salt/pepper cellar with magnetic catches. All the decoration on the lids is with a 90 v bit with various toolpaths. the magnets are .1 thick by .375 in diameter and are strong enough to lift the box by its lid.

D

myxpykalix
10-22-2012, 12:37 AM
I'd be interested to know how you created the different designs on the lids. One almost looks like a spirograph type design? The finishes are very nice also.

My finishes don't ever seem to be that nice. Tell me how you finished it? Great job:D

feinddj
10-22-2012, 01:30 PM
As these are destined for food use, they are finished wtih a wipe on mineral oil, I use vasolene and just rub it in and let it dry. Buff it out and it gives a nice clean finish that you can renew with no trouble.

As to the pattern for the barleycorn: In this case, I used Aspire to space 76 circles around a circle. 96 was a bit too busy for my tastes. Use the change size command to alter the height and width independently to the oval.

Now you toolpath it on the circle at a consistent depth. I run it slowly and with speed to get as clean a cut as I can, you don't want to sand it. That's it. A traditional barleycorn pattern.

The others are just a vcarve of a sunburst and a texture pattern. I am trying to standardize the bottom and then do different designs for the lids.

myxpykalix
10-22-2012, 05:39 PM
As these are destined for food use, they are finished wtih a wipe on mineral oil, I use vasolene and just rub it in and let it dry. Buff it out and it gives a nice clean finish that you can renew with no trouble

Vaseline, like the petroleum jelly? Do you wipe on a mineral oil, let that dry then apply a coat of vaseline and then buff that? It's a beautiful finish..:D

feinddj
10-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Jack,

Vasolene is gelled mineral oil. It is a bit easier to handle than the liquid and doesn't tend to spill on your work bench. Its a good finish for cutting boards, rolling pins etc. It patinas well. When you want to renew it, wipe it down, rub more on and buff again. I have pieces in daily use that I made 20 years ago that are finished this way.

D

myxpykalix
10-22-2012, 06:52 PM
david,
i'm confused. Do you have a picture or a link for what you are talking about. You spell what you use "Vasolene" and i'm wondering if that is different then what i'm thinking about "Vaseline"?

feinddj
10-23-2012, 12:15 AM
Jack,

That's the stuff. Don't pay any attention to my lack of ability to spell (dyslexic).

D

myxpykalix
10-23-2012, 12:27 AM
david if you were dyslexic it would be spelled "enilesav":eek:

I'm going to have to try that, it is a great finish, very nice:D

cwebb
10-23-2012, 08:28 AM
David you may not be able to spell but the boxes look great!