PDA

View Full Version : X Axis gear box replacement?

rww
11-03-2012, 02:02 PM
I have a three year old 120x60 prs alpha with a spindle. I have started to notice some play in the x axis on one side. I ordered new pinion gears. Upon further inspection one of my x axis motors will turn just enough to let one side of the carriage to move about 1/32 of an inch. The pinion gear is tight to the track so I'm thinking the gear box needs replaced. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Brady Watson
11-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Make sure that the motor is fully engaged in the rack. Sometimes it feels like it is, and it is off a smidge. Drop that motor and lift up on it hard, then snug up the bolts.

The T7.2s get noisy after a while and all of them have backlash - but it shouldn't be more than say .005". Good news is that if you wanted to replace the motor it's only about $400 from OM.

-B

rww
11-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks Brady. I'm pretty sure It is fully engaged. I can visually see the gear rotate instead of just wiggle in the teeth of the gears. Maybe it is the motor getting old. I do have another motor that is bad with the same gear box. Do you know if I can swap the gearboxes?

Brady Watson
11-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Do you know if I can swap the gearboxes?

Not without specialized tools. It is a better value to just buy a new one or a pair.

-B