PDA

View Full Version : New Shop power setup requirements

digitalwoodshop
10-22-2006, 04:39 PM
I am getting ready to finish the inside shell of my 16 x 24 wood shop. I have been searching the forum looking for power requirements and grounding for the ShopBot. Can I get some suggestions as to how many and what kinds of power I should pre wire for now that the walls are still open. I liked the idea of the individual blower vacuum motors mounted under the table for hold down and want to plan wiring for that too. I just finished a 14 x 6 foot addition on the back of the wood shop for dust collection equipment. I have a 200 amp service in the Laser Engraver shop with a 100 amp sub panel in the wood shop. No 3 phase in my area. I am a one man shop and have installed current monitors on the main power panel to keep an eye on my Amps. I am about a year away from buying a ShopBot, I am not sure if it will be a spindle or router. I ran CAT5, CCTV and E Stop wires between the side by side laser shop and the wood shop as I will share time between the buildings. I liked the suggestion to run a stripped down computer for the ShopBot, customizing the operating system at install. How about Earth Grounding the ShopBot? I didn't search that but I wonder about ground loop? If I ran copper back to my main service ground rod that might work... About 40 feet. Trying to get it right the first time.

mikejohn
10-23-2006, 01:23 AM
Albert
Start here (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/show.cgi?tpc=26&post=4291#POST4291)for grounding,and then look at this (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/show.cgi?tpc=26&post=16585#POST16585) as a start for your power needs.
After reading these, come back if you have more specific questions.

..........Mike

waynec
10-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Now is a good time to think about how many circuits you should use. I recently did electric on my new shop, and installed these circuits;

1) 20 amp for controller/computer (with battery backup, incidently)
2) 20 amp dedicated for router
3) 220V 20 amp for dust collector

The controller is on a dedicated cirucit- that is nothing else gets plugged into that circuit- so that a failure of some other tool or machine won't cause a breaker to trip while the SHopbot is running. Same thing for the router- its the only thing on the circuit.

This is working very well so far. Others will add to this, no doubt. Wire what you need now- its way easier than retrofitting.

Wayne from White Salmon

blaz_in_az
10-23-2006, 12:36 PM
After a year of owning my ShopBot, I moved into a new 16 x 22' shop. I had a 220v installed in the ceiling above the ShopBot and one on the wall for the dust collector. When I dropped the 220v to a seperate breaker box on the ShopBot, and from this I also wired a 220v extra outlet and a 110v duplex outlet mounted on the table's XY leg. This allowed an additional shop location for 220v, and a 110v outlet for the router.

In addition, I put split duplex 110v outlets on the walls in convenient locations. The outlets are split between 2 breakers, so I will never overload any single set of outlets with many tools connected

I have never had a grounding problem without using a special earth ground.

Tim

digitalwoodshop
10-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Mike, Wayne, and Tim,
Thank You for your reply's. Some great reading in the "check here", Thanks!!!. I read the forum about once a day had have been for months. I especially like the troubleshooting as I am a retired Navy Technician and worked for Sony for 8 years in everything from making picture tubes, keeping the line running in San Diego to Fixing Play Stations in Philly. We had a lot of Fanuc robots, Servo and Stepper equipment in San Diego.