PDA

View Full Version : Controller Box

jerry
12-18-2000, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone,

Could somebody post the dimensions of the controller box WxLxH. I am waiting for my new shopbot and in the meantime I putting together a mounting system for it and need to know its dimensions. Thanks in advance.

--- jerry

davenadeau
12-19-2000, 03:18 PM
Hi Jerry,

The ShopBot controller and power supply are housed in a tower-type computer case that is 17" deep, 8" wide, and 17" tall without the power cord plug attached. Allow at least 3" for the cord to project from the rear of the control box.

Dave

jerry
12-19-2000, 05:10 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the dimensions.

--- jerry

jay_mack1@hotmail.com
10-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Hello All,

How long are the controller cables, from the tool to the Controller?

Also, I need to dicuss grounding my electrical system. I don't have a copper earth ground, at either location of my electrical services. There is not one at the house nor at the garage. Suggestions?!

Thanks...

jay_mack1@hotmail.com
10-22-2003, 10:28 AM
I need to dicuss grounding my electrical system. I don't have a copper earth ground, at either location of my electrical services. There is not one at the house nor at the garage. Suggestions?!

Can I earth ground the shopbot and control box to a copper grounding rod, outside the garage, from the panel box?

Thanks...

gerald_d
10-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Stickman, your electrical system in your garage, without a ground wire, would be illegal (and dangerous) even by my local "African" standards. Would suggest that you take your question to your local licensed electrician first.

There is no way that I would try and advise you to do something on this Forum that runs contrary to basic electrical safety principles. I have read too many stories about laywers on the other side of the Atlantic ocean.

jay_mack1@hotmail.com
10-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Gerald,

I've got a garage wired with 12-2 w/ ground. What I am missing is an earth ground. Which I am going to take, is the 8'-0" copper rod that runs into the ground and is connect to the grounding bar at the panel box.

But, I will get with a local electrician and have him look at it.

Thanks, Jay

gerald_d
10-22-2003, 01:35 PM
Stickman, I don't know your terminology (12-2 w/) but I get the impression now that you actually do have 3 wires at your plug-in point. We would call these 3 wires Live, Neutral and Ground. If you do have this 3rd "ground" wire, then you don't have to bother with a copper grounding rod buried in the earth. In fact, it is better to use the 3rd (ground) wire, rather than installing a parallel grounding system to a rod outside the door.

However, your SB controller box should connect itself to that 3rd wire, and you should need to do nothing more than connect all the SB metal parts to the stud on the back of the SB controller.

But, if in any doubt, talk to your local expert.

bjwat@comcast.net
10-22-2003, 03:51 PM
12-2 is commonly known as 12 gauge copper with 2 conductors and a ground. 12-3 would be 3 conductors and a ground.

-Brady

edwardmc
10-22-2003, 08:55 PM
StickMan
In every home I'v seen the earth ground will be at your meter box look for a copper wire runing from the box to the ground it should be a littel larger them a 1/8' some times the copper rod well get coverd with dirt. If you find it your fine if not get in tuch with a electrician fast you and your famaly are in risk. But I can not beleave that your electric utility would conect a home without a earth ground. It may be if you have had vinal siding installed that thay may have cover it on the wall but you should see it at the ground level and comeing out of the box .

jay_mack1@hotmail.com
10-23-2003, 10:26 AM
Ed,

I know that I don't have anything like that. I am going to need to get ahold of an electrican.

Thanks for your help.

vcabinet
04-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Does anybody have ideas or pics. to share on making a computer station to help keep dust away from components.

srwtlc
04-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Gary, see this thread (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/26/980.html?1078878269), and this post (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=26&post=12751#POST12751) showing my cabinet and one I made for a High School.
If you would like, I can e-mail you the plans.

kerrazy
04-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Scott, I have been using Bill Youngs Computer kiosk for my 'bot computer. It was one of the first file I ever cut.
Needless to say it is truly open concept no protection at all.
I would love to get a copy of you plans if possible.
Thanks,
Dale

davidallen
04-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Scott,

why not post the plans on the SB website?

da