PDA

View Full Version : Another question - Z-zero plate problems

joewino
09-20-2006, 03:14 PM
OK...run upon another problem. PRTalpha. Almost got everything working now, but when I try to use the Z-zero plate I get this message:

"Z-contact did not clear for some reason."

All the wires are connected and "Input 1" on the Control Panel lights up when I clip on the alligator clip.

Any ideas? I know this is going to be fun...if I don't die of frustration before running my first job.

richards
09-20-2006, 04:08 PM
For some reason, the input is already sensing that contact has been made. (You should have a sensor light corresponding to the input that you've attached the Z-zero plate to.)

The way that I check this problem is to just touch the Z-zero plate to a ground point anywhere on the Shopbot. The sensor light should turn on and then then turn off as I move the Z-zero plate away from the ground point. If the sensor light stays on, then you may have to check the wiring to the Z-zero plate,

The Z-zero plate is just a very simple switch. The plate is connected to +5vdc via a resistor. When the plate is grounded, a circuit is completed and the input senses that the switch is 'closed'. My Alpha was wired backwards, so I had to reverse the connections.

joewino
09-20-2006, 06:22 PM
The "Input 1" light on the Control Panel lights up as soon as I attach the alligator clip to the bit, before ever getting close to the plate. Then nothing else happens after that.

Do I just switch the wires in the Control Box?

steve4460
09-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Yes .

rob_bell
09-21-2006, 02:54 PM
I had the same issue with the z-zero. It made more sense that the clip was the ground so I switch the wiring in the Control Box and it works now.

paco
09-21-2006, 04:19 PM
If it's not closing the circuit (ON) when you zero, then no problem. I have this too (I use a metal clip and Bot's paint as wear out over there) and it's just blinking as the tool work but it doesn't create any problem since the #1 is not monitored as limit or such.
If it's ON when the z-plate is in your hand on the spoilboard, then review wiring.

drodda
09-21-2006, 05:34 PM
You either have to remove the screw that is grounding your rounter to the fram or switch the wires in the control box as you are doing both and this does not work. There is a allen screw on the side of the router that grounds it to the chassis. Remove this screw and the thing should work. I just switched the wires and then I don't have to use the clip at all to get the thing to zero. just lay the plate down and zero through the bit and router body.

joewino
09-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Switched the wires and everything works fine now. Thanks for the information.

We ran our first job on the ShopBot today. Just a simple cutout of some high school mascot heads in MDO, but it saved us a bunch of time and made a really smooth edge.

Now the fun begins.