PDA

View Full Version : HELP! CF spring replacement

johnny_s
07-21-2007, 08:35 AM
I had ordered the coil spring kit just in case my constant force spring failed, of which, it did today yesterday (Friday), at 3:pm pacific standard (after shopbot closes). I never opened the coil spring package until the CF's failed, and of course - there are no instructions in the package!

I have a lot of cutting to do this weekend, and would rather not spend that time trying to figure out how to do this replacement. Anyone have the instructions on them?

Thanks

Brady Watson
07-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Johnny,

1) Drill a 1/4" hole thru the top of the Z axis 2X2 towers, 1" down and 1" over (center) of the 2X2, all the way thru on both towers. The 1/4" bolts will go thru these holes and attach the top of the spring.

2) Put bolts 1/2 way in and hang springs. Then tighten the bolts.

3) Attach bottom spring yoke with 1/2 circle cutouts pointing down and to the back of the Z-axis t-rail. Use the bolts & nuts provided.

4) Get a long (18-24") piece of welding wire or other strong wire that you can use as a hook. Hook one end (make a loop on the wire) to the bottom of each spring. Push Z axis t-rail all the way up. Pull wire and hook spring on perch. Repeat for other side.

That's pretty much it. It doesn't matter which side gets the larger spring (if yours are not equal).

-B

johnny_s
07-22-2007, 12:21 AM
Do I need to take that busted CF spring out?

Brady Watson
07-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Yes. Carefully unbolt the 'tongue' of the spring 1st, the remove the coil(s).

-B