PDA

View Full Version : Spindle maximum working temperature

paco
02-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Yup! I've now upgraded to a spindle!

What would be the maximum working temperature for the spindles SB sell? What is too hot a spindle (bearing)? I'm considering a infrared thermometer but what use could it be if I don't know which level to be concern of?

I could use some information from experienced spindle user. I didn't found much about it so far... I guess both HSD and Columbo have similar specifications regarding this... right?

Thanks in advance.

Brady Watson
02-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Paco,
I *think* that max recommended temp is about 130°F, and the internal thermister will kick in at between 140° & 150° F. I've run my 5HP Colombo for days at 125°F.

-B

elcruisr
02-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Do not bet on any one set of specs carries over to another model! It's best to contact the spindle manufacturer or one of their reps and get a specific spec. I run a 5hp Colombo and just getting a spec from them was like pulling teeth on an elephant without any tranquilizer!

The factory rep numbers for the 5 hp Colombo is 140 max no load and 160 loaded. The interesting part is other shops who work on Colombo spindles say that number is too high. They recommend never exceeding 145 loaded or unloaded.

If you're running an HSD I'd call their US office and get numbers from them.

The thermistor will only protect overheated windings, not bearings! Don't ask me why I know....