View Full Version : Lingerie Dresser for Christmas

shilala
12-12-2012, 02:20 PM
My wife wanted a new lingerie dresser for Christmas, her old one was too small and too cheesy to live with anymore.
I built her a new one, all 3/4 cherry with some gummy cherry on the sides to give it a little interest. The drawers are of resawn soft maple, box jointed. The drawer bottoms are oak ply.
I threw together a number of incarnations of the drawer fronts and she fortunately loved the one you see here.
It turned out as a wonderfully heavy piece, built for a lot of lifetimes. An heirloom to pass along for generations to come.

I cut all the 3/4 pieces on the Shopbot, as well as the drawer fronts. The drawer boxes I made on the table saw with a new box jig I bought and a new box dado set. That was truly a joy, I'm thrilled with the investment. I also found it very necessary to pick up a new Festool finish sander, if you get my drift. ;)

The Shopbot took so much painstaking labor out of this job that I was shocked. Using Aspire to design the dresser and make the part files was a breeze, and took out all the mistakes I generally make with graph paper and pencils. I took time to make schematics of every elevation of the dresser because it was so easy. It made reference so simple and so painless, not fumbling through tons of drawings.
There is no substitute for good tools or a happy wife. :)

Thank You to all of you for teaching me, giving me tips, and sharing your experience. Special thanks to Brady for making me read a bunch of sh1t I didn't want to read. Lol

Here she is...

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad96/scottshilala/9E61865D-5C7C-4062-90A5-8484A2215A86-2526-00000B6090E9AF72.jpg

myxpykalix
12-12-2012, 04:01 PM
My wife wanted a new lingerie dresser for Christmas
And what goes in a lingerie dresser......NEW lingerie!:D

I'm not psychic, but i see a trip to Victoria's Secret in your near future:D

I love the drawer fronts Scott and the whole case looks beautiful. What is the finish? Beautiful job Scott:D

Brady Watson
12-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Special thanks to Brady for making me read a bunch of sh1t I didn't want to read....

I know...that whole 'reading' thing. Teach a man to fish etc...

Well done on the project - thanks for posting!

-B

shilala
12-12-2012, 04:27 PM
The finish is 2 coats of minwax Red Mahogany stain, 15 minute soak each time and 24 hours between coats.
The topcoat is Minwax wipe-on satin poly, 3 coats with a good day between coats.
The finish on the carcass is so perfect and gorgeous that it looks like laminate or shelf paper or something. I told my father in law it actually teed me off cause it came out so well it looks artificial. He agreed.
I've built a gazillion things but this is the first piece of furniture. Next is a four post bed, that's my wife's idea, as well. I'm just waiting for her to get me some pics to start designing.
Appears I'm gonna have to get some of those blue pills to keep up after all these improvements to the love nest. :D

chiloquinruss
12-12-2012, 04:45 PM
WOW, this is yet another in a long list of posts my wife will NEVER ever see! WOW! :eek: Russ

genek
12-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Scott very nice.

t_vandemark
12-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Very nice. Job well done!

shilala
01-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Awhile back, Stuart from Vectric contacted me and asked if he can use this pic of my wife's dresser in their gallery. I thought that was pretty cool.
I thought the dresser was cool, but only in the fact that I was able to make it. It's my first real piece of furniture and it turned out great, as in it didn't immediately fall apart and it doesn't need duct tape or wood putty.
It really surprised me when someone liked it that didn't just need to be courteous. :)

myxpykalix
01-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Scott,
The most important question is...did she get new lingerie to go in the new lingerie cabinet?:eek::D

What i like about it is that it reminds me of furniture when i was a kid that was very ornate. Most dressers and cabinets are very plain faced and not much detail to them. And i love the finish. Ya dun good, boy!:D

shilala
01-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks, Jack!!!
Nope, no new lingerie. They wouldn't get any use, we have a "no clothes in the bedroom" rule. I'm not much for rules, but that's one I can live with.
I wish you could see the finish in person. It really is amazing, I look at it all the time. I really do love it. I'm glad I took some time to read a book on finishing, it taught me a lot of tricks I didn't know and made me abandon lots of things I thought I was doing right. I almost enjoy finishing now!!! :)

danhamm
01-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Congratulations Scott, that a nice piece of work...see your using the minwax products that I use, here is a pic of the chinese bed of comfort
that just mite fit your plans, the sleeping/loving pads are inside as are the pillows, maybe if you carve this the other will buy the little blue's.

cheers ....