PDA

View Full Version : Greasing Stepper Gearboxes

rb99
12-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Can I put grease into the stepper motor gearbox on the PK296A1A-SG3.6?

If so, does anyone have instructions for me?

Thanks!

tlempicke
12-16-2012, 08:37 AM
Oh wow! Tread carefully here.

Did you know that if you take an Oriental Motor apart you have destroyed it! (Well for all intents and purposes) Reason being that they are magnetized AFTER being assembled in order to get the greatest torque out of them. If you take one apart it loses a good deal of it's magnetism and will no longer produce anywhere near the torque that it used to.

I am saying this only to show the kind of thinking that the factory has. They do not want you to mess with their product.

rb99
12-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Oh wow! Tread carefully here.

Did you know that if you take an Oriental Motor apart you have destroyed it! (Well for all intents and purposes) Reason being that they are magnetized AFTER being assembled in order to get the greatest torque out of them. If you take one apart it loses a good deal of it's magnetism and will no longer produce anywhere near the torque that it used to.

I am saying this only to show the kind of thinking that the factory has. They do not want you to mess with their product.

Thank you for the warning. I think the motors can be separated from the gearbox without taking them apart. I was hoping someone with knowledge of this procedure would give me some guidance. My motors don't have many hours on them but are pretty old and have been sitting for some time. (years).

richards
12-16-2012, 07:08 PM
If the motor is removed from the machine, the gearbox can be opened without opening the motor; however, the gearbox is lubricated for life. No lubrication is necessary.

After heavy use, the gears in any gearbox become worn. I've had several PK296A1A-SG3.6 motors sent to me because the owner thought that he had an electrical problem. In each case, the motor functioned properly, but the gearbox was just worn out, requiring that the entire unit be replaced. Even in the worn-out gearboxes, everything was still fully lubricated.

gene
12-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Plus if you open one then the gremlins excape into your shop and cause all sorts of missing things . First you will start loosing Pencils , then followed by tape measures and speed squares . next is power tools , if it gets this far just lock up the shop and never go in there again. the only to reclaim your shop is to hire one of those guys from ornimental motors to come over here and bring a special trap with attractant to recapture them all.

danhamm
12-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Finally, someone who "really" knows...."it is the season" I hired the Ornimental soercerist.. cause I did the unmentionable and opened one
"I had to" and the list started, He came and his first set went missing
he was beside himself "literally" the thing had taken his ALPHA bid step
trap, he then sent for his bag of tricks trap...the PK sneakies,that was a month ago...he's still here, I need a trap to get rid of him..now I'm beside "myself"....

Brady Watson
12-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Y'all are hittin the nog early then? :p

-B

myxpykalix
12-17-2012, 02:44 PM
WHO YOU GONNA CALLL........GHOSTBUSTERS!:eek:

CNYDWW
12-17-2012, 04:32 PM
WHO YOU GONNA CALLL........GHOSTBUSTERS!:eek:

NOOOOOO... You'll get rid of the gremlin but fry your control box, pc etc etc etc.

Just go to the old folks home and get the gnarliest surliest old woman with rats nest hair you can find. Wheel her in and let her flail her finger around for a min and it'll be solved.