View Full Version : Cutting Depth Issue

dpings
12-17-2012, 05:25 PM
I have been having my students cut out different project and have noticed some cutting depth issues. We have the wood zeroed in the lower left corner. We are having some problems with with the depth of cuts, especially V-Carved depths. The left side of the V-Carving is deeper then the right side of the V-Carving. I resurfaced the table and everything seems to be fine. It seems to me, that if the table is flat, the router should run parallel to it. Instead, as it gets closer to the right side of the project, the depth becomes shallower. This is with Hardwood, MDF, and Plywood. It doesn't seem to make any difference.

Rob Gunn
12-18-2012, 09:03 AM
I had a similar issue with my PRT96 when I first bought in used. I found out that my table was not attache securely to my support frame. I would surface the table but when I would attache material to it to cut then my screws would go clear down into my frame and "draw it down". By hand, push down on different areas of your table to see if anything moves. Or, Is there a way you could mount a drop indicator to your router and check the relation to the table? Or maybe your material is not flat and parallel? Or maybe your bit is slipping in the collect? Good luck and let us know what you find! Were here to help.

dpings
12-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks Rob for the ideas. I will look at those things and see if we can determine the problem.

bob_dodd
12-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Not knowing what machine you have , but slow your move speed down on the Z , it may be set too fast , and missing steps as it moves up & down

jerry_stanek
12-18-2012, 11:30 AM
What I would do is put a piece of material on your table and if you have vacuum start it and zero on top of the material where you normally would and then move the bit over to the right and move the bit to zero and see if it touches the top of the material. If it does then I would run the file and without moving anything I would see if it is still just touhing at the left hand side.