PDA

View Full Version : Slinky Steps

twelchPTM
12-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Collapsable steps for Slinky races....

MogulTx
12-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Now THAT is SWEET! GREAT idea and execution.

Double the Santa's-Elf Kudos to you!

chiloquinruss
12-21-2012, 10:54 AM
So how many sketchs did it take to get it figured out? :) It sure looks like the design process was as much fun as putting it together, very cool. Thanks for sharing. Russ

Brady Watson
12-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Nice! I bet figuring that out led you to think of all kinds of other stuff you want to make that folds up!

-B

myxpykalix
12-21-2012, 01:37 PM
great execution......neat project:D

David Iannone
12-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Awsome project.

myxpykalix
12-21-2012, 05:44 PM
I've been looking at the pictures trying to figure out how you accomplished getting them to squeeze together and i'm puzzled. Do you have any other pictures of the sides close up?

I could see how you could have like a "scissor jack" effect when you spread them out but i can't tell how you have a "slip joint" to compress?:confused:

twelchPTM
01-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Honestly the fold up aspect wasn't to hard, It is a modification of a drying rack (I think there is one on the SB web page). I also googled folding ladders/ folding steps and stared at the images for a while once I thought I figured it out I mocked it up with popsicle sticks and thumb tacks. The trickiest part was making sure to cut enough parts. I'll post the file tomorrow for anyone who wants it....

the horizontal pieces mount on the insides, every other horizontal is a step. centers holes mount to center holes. If you put the horizontal braces on the outsides and recess all the hardware it will fold even tighter. Nylon bushing in all the holes and nylon washers inbetween all the pieces help to keep movement smooth.

dana_swift
01-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Thomas- your tag line "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" is wonderful, I hope you don't mind if I quote you!

D

chiloquinruss
01-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Dana - LOL my internet was down for two days and I was afraid to turn on the Bot! :eek: Russ

twelchPTM
01-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Thomas- your tag line "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" is wonderful, I hope you don't mind if I quote you!

D

thank you and quote away. Every so often I say somethin' smrat!

gene
01-29-2013, 10:48 PM
I think that kind of like sayin that no one of us is as smart as all of us :rolleyes: