PDA

View Full Version : What ER Collets For Porter Cable?

rb99
12-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Do ER11 collets fit PC?

Brady Watson
12-29-2012, 02:01 PM
No. BUT...you can get a stubby collet chuck from Enco and chuck it into your PC 1/2" collet to use small bits. OR buy precision collets made for the PC: http://www.precisebits.com/products/equipment/pc_collets_nuts.asp

-B

rb99
12-29-2012, 02:07 PM
So there are no low cost eBay precision PC collets?

Brady Watson
12-29-2012, 03:22 PM
I have no idea...Low cost is relative.

-B

gerryv
12-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Richard, by all accounts, the PreciseBits collets/nut setup that Brady refers to is hands down the best, low-cost upgrade you can do to a Porter Cable Router, especially if you're planning on using small dia. bits, which otherwise often break even with care because of runout. Lots of guys have researched this and come to the same conclusion. Hope this helps.

Ajcoholic
12-29-2012, 04:50 PM
I have an hsd spindle on my bot, but I use a pc router in my little table top router table. I bought the precise bits collet set last spring. A huge improvement to the stock ones IMO. Not everything will be had for cheap. But one slipped bit will cost you the collet price and more in material spoiled.

There is a Canadian dealer for precise bits down just east of Toronto. And he's a shop botter. Glen Peterson, his business is cut n carve

kurt_rose
12-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Another vote for PreciseBits. Been running the 3 piece set for a year + now with no problems. The only bitch I have is the collet wrench they came with. A real pain in the butt. I think they may have fixed that by now.

Steve M
12-29-2012, 06:06 PM
No. BUT...you can get a stubby collet chuck from Enco and chuck it into your PC 1/2" collet to use small bits. OR buy precision collets made for the PC: http://www.precisebits.com/products/equipment/pc_collets_nuts.asp

-B

I use a stubby ER16 collet holder in a precisebits collet. The setup works very well.
Chucking a collet holder in a PC collet risks turning the collet holder into a fast flying projectile and at the very least will cause much greater runout at the bit.

COBOB
12-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Another vote for PreciseBits. Been running the 3 piece set for a year + now with no problems. The only bitch I have is the collet wrench they came with. A real pain in the butt. I think they may have fixed that by now.

The new wrench from PreciseBits is much easier to use. Well worth the price.

rb99
12-29-2012, 06:26 PM
I was hoping something like this existed for PC routers;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ER11-SPRING-COLLET-SET-12-PCS-INCH-SIZES-CNC-MILLING-LATHE-TOOL-HOLDING-F58-/150969837437?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item232680e77d

curtiss
12-29-2012, 06:32 PM
These seem to work pretty well in a PC router.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/orderstatus/html/smarthtml/pages/bushing_ball_bearings.html

I have about 6 of the # 273's, I use a bit of medium blue Permatex Threadlocker around the bit when I slip it in.the bushing.

Steve M
12-29-2012, 09:02 PM
I was hoping something like this existed for PC routers;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ER11-SPRING-COLLET-SET-12-PCS-INCH-SIZES-CNC-MILLING-LATHE-TOOL-HOLDING-F58-/150969837437?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item232680e77d

Those are the ones I use, but in the ER16 size, along with the CTC straight shank ( .5" dia. shank) ER16 collet holder cut to "stubby" size. I use the same collets in my Taig mills.

You do have to insert the holder in a better quality collet than the one from PC.

rb99
12-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Those are the ones I use, but in the ER16 size, along with the CTC straight shank ( .5" dia. shank) ER16 collet holder cut to "stubby" size. I use the same collets in my Taig mills.

You do have to insert the holder in a better quality collet than the one from PC.

Could you please explain this to me? I have no idea what you are describing... Do you mean you put the CTC collet into a better collet that screws onto the PC router? A collet in a collet?

What is a CTC straight shank ( .5" dia. shank) ER16 collet holder cut to "stubby" size?

Would this do it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PC-ER16-SPRING-COLLET-CLAMPING-NUT-CNC-MILLING-LATHE-TOOL-WORKHOLDING-A85-/110992210262?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item19d7a6b956

Along with these?
http://stores.ebay.com/CTC-Tools/_i.html?_nkw=ER16&submit=Search+Store

I see this is CTC Tools.

Ajcoholic
12-29-2012, 09:42 PM
For $69 from Precise bits you get a 1/4" and 1/2" collet, a machined nut and a wrench, along with a bottle of cleaner.

That is CHEAP. And you know they will work great. Why try and save $20 or so dollars and take a gamble?

AJC

rb99
12-29-2012, 09:48 PM
For $69 from Precise bits you get a 1/4" and 1/2" collet, a machined nut and a wrench, along with a bottle of cleaner.

That is CHEAP. And you know they will work great. Why try and save $20 or so dollars and take a gamble?

AJC

I am looking at the set of 10 metric and the 8 imperial spring collets to fit a bunch of different bits. Am I wrong? (I have been out of this biz for some time). If all I need is what you mentioned I will buy it up!

Ajcoholic
12-29-2012, 10:07 PM
I am looking at the set of 10 metric and the 8 imperial spring collets to fit a bunch of different bits. Am I wrong? (I have been out of this biz for some time). If all I need is what you mentioned I will buy it up!

Well if you need 18 collets I guess its worth a try. You didnt say that.

But, I have also been in the biz for "a few" years myself... I have learned a long time ago sometimes buying the good stuff up front, pays off.

It doesnt seem that anyone else makes a "drop in" collet for the big PC router. You can buy a machined holder, that fits into the PC collet that will itself hold ERXX type collets, but that also adds length to the router spindle placing your bits further away from the main bearing.

Hey, whatever you decide, its your descision. But you are asking for opinions... I just gave mine. :)

rb99
12-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Andrew I do appreciate your knowledge and advice. (As well as everyone's help here.) Other than occasionally cutting different sheet stock into sign blanks I have not been using the bot. Now with the 4g and other upgrades I am trying to get up to speed in the knowledge dept. I do recall having to use shim stock wrapped around an off sized bit to get it to work in the P Cable. I just thought having all those collets would be a good thing.

kurt_rose
12-30-2012, 10:05 AM
I know it's tough times and we're watching every penny, but I try to buy American when ever I can. I know sometimes it's hard to do. It's a dam shame that we ship alot of our steel to China and Japan and they in turn manufacture stuff with it and they sell back to us dirt cheap. Not only is it hard to buy American due to the prices they can charge due to cheap labor rates over there, it's also hard to find an American company that hasn't thrown in the towel trying to compete with imports. I've been guilty of buying the stuff also so and probley will again soon don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to preach. It's a different world for sure then most of us were brought up in. I'm curious to see where it all ends up. I know your from Canada Rich. I do concider the great white north family. :D

rb99
12-30-2012, 10:35 AM
I know it's tough times and we're watching every penny, but I try to buy American when ever I can. I know sometimes it's hard to do. It's a dam shame that we ship alot of our steel to China and Japan and they in turn manufacture stuff with it and they sell back to us dirt cheap. Not only is it hard to buy American due to the prices they can charge due to cheap labor rates over there, it's also hard to find an American company that hasn't thrown in the towel trying to compete with imports. I've been guilty of buying the stuff also so and probley will again soon don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to preach. It's a different world for sure then most of us were brought up in. I'm curious to see where it all ends up. I know your from Canada Rich. I do concider the great white north family. :D

Buy American is something I do a lot... however the whole made in China is a USA invention, with Walmart originally blazing the trail for the rest of the USA. Canada has been invaded by US box stores full of Asian goods. All money spent in these stores in Canada is vacuumed directly into the USA, bypassing the Canadian economy and trickle down effect. This invasion is hollowing out the Canadian economy, and shutting down smaller Canadian businesses. There is no way I, as a Canadian, will pay 10-100 times for a product today to support the USA economy. I have limited funds, competitors who will buy the best price, as well as customers who also will buy based on the lowest price. You guys started this world changing trend. Many times "buy American" means buy something from China from an American... One guy in Canada won't fix it on a $25 order off eBay. Is eBay not American?

kurt_rose
12-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Point well taken Rich.

Steve M
12-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Could you please explain this to me? I have no idea what you are describing... Do you mean you put the CTC collet into a better collet that screws onto the PC router? A collet in a collet?

Put the CTC collet CHUCK into a better collet ( Precisebits collet) that screws into the PC router.

What is a CTC straight shank ( .5" dia. shank) ER16 collet holder cut to "stubby" size?

The CTC collet CHUCK in your second link, with the shank cut to 1.5".

Would this do it?
http://stores.ebay.com/CTC-Tools/_i.html?_nkw=ER16&submit=Search+Store

Yes.

If you are using router bits with .5" or .25" diameter shanks, you just remove the CTC collet chuck and use the bits in the Precisebits collets.

A collet chuck is great for any size shank that doesn't have a PC collet.

rb99
12-30-2012, 12:29 PM
This one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ER16-1-2-STRAIGHT-SHANK-COLLET-CHUCK-CNC-MILLING-LATHE-TOOL-WORKHOLDING-F89-/150968443127?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item23266ba0f7

That 1/2" collet chuck will then hold the other eBay spring collets?

Steve M
12-30-2012, 12:54 PM
This one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ER16-1-2-STRAIGHT-SHANK-COLLET-CHUCK-CNC-MILLING-LATHE-TOOL-WORKHOLDING-F89-/150968443127?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item23266ba0f7

That 1/2" collet chuck will then hold the other eBay spring collets?

Yes. Make sure you cut the shank as short as possible to keep the collet chuck close to the PC bearing.

You will get better prices if you order directly from the CTC Tools web site. While you're at it, order the ER16 collet wrench also.

rb99
12-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Looks like an international effort then...

Precisebits and China work together.

BTW I could not tell from their website if the Precisebits collets for the PC are 100% USA or imports. Maybe I missed it but perhaps they are import resellers as well?

GlenP
12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Richard, PreciseBits nuts are NOT made to fit a different suppliers collet. Not sure if they fit others by chance but I never recommend or sell nuts to fit someone else's collets. If you want to know if their products are 100% american made then contact them and ask them. Ron Reed that owns the company is one for customer satisfaction and would be pleased to answer questions. I know for a fact they have a very tight quality control for the products they produce and sell. Other companies take the sell and ship it....if it isn't up to par they can send it back and get refund or send them a replacement. IMHO you ALWAYS get what you pay for. I am as Andrew says the Canadian distributor and wold be happy to answer questions about products and we try to stock what our customers need and to make shipping timelines as short as we can. I will say if you buy a product off ebay to make sure of any import charges that may occur. I have heard some nasty duty and import fees on a product that was great price on ebay. Once you account for those fees it doesn't seem to be a great price. Not saying that is the case...just if you order them to make sure of any extras??
I have the PC collet kit here is you want one. Be glad to help in anyway possible.
We are all under the control of making our dollars go as far as possible especially in these times.
Hope all have a Happy New Year.