View Full Version : V-Bit Questions

Nate Sirek
01-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Hello Fellow Botters!

So I'm dabbling with some v-carved signs and am wondering the pros and cons of using a 90 degree v bit versus the 60 degree v bit that came in the shop bot starter set.

I noticed that in partworks when I create a v-carve tool path it defaults to a 90 degree v bit for the finishing pass. When I did a test carve I used my 60 degree starter bit even though the toolpath was set at the 90 degree bit.

When I carved I noticed the 60 degree bit left some uncut material around outside of my lettering. What could cause this? If this is normal I'll just get the dremel out and start removing the extra. But like everything else with my bot....usually when it does something wrong its because I'm telling it to do something wrong!

Any expert v carvers out there that care to put in their two cents??

steve_g
01-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Nate

One of the many issues folks have with "V-bits" is confusing cutting with a V-bit and V-carving... Two separate things! Just to be sure we're clear lets define them.

Cutting with a V-bit
Using a V-bit to cut on a vector... often an open vector. When using this method, the depth of cut is set and constant (other than possible ramp in and/or outs). You might use this technique to add a bevel to a plaque or possibly to cut out a miter folded box.

V-Carving
V carving is typically known as a method used by sign makers to create sharp corners while using round, cone shaped router bits (known as V-bits). This is accomplished by causing the bit to rise out of the material being cut as it approaches a corner, effectively continuously reducing the bit diameter until it is a single point. The visual effect is that of a square corner, making lettering crisp, clear and easy to read. This same strategy (continuously changing the bit diameter) is also used to remove material enclosed by any closed vector (Line), and can be used for many projects other than just lettering.

The important thing to understand here is that when V-carving, the V-bit always cuts to the bounding vectors... the only difference different angle bits make is how deep it will cut.

Hopefully this has been clearly presented enough for you to see that cutting a file with a 60° V-bit that was calculated for a 90° bit will leave an area un-cut that you are expecting to have been cut.

If this leaves you confused, or if I've been barking up the wrong tree... let me know and I'll try again!

SG

Nate Sirek
01-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the advice! After reading through, and double checking my tool pathing I adjusted for the right 60 degree angled v bit and this was my finished product.

Which brings me to my next question. I tried making another sign with the 3d leaping bass file I bought from Vector Art. Is it possible to design a sign with a purchased 3d file from Vector Art in Part Works? The files I've bought thus far I've only been able to open up in Part Works 3D and haven't been able to figure out how to encorporate them into a sign layout in standard Part Works. Thoughts? Suggestions? Or am I just at a dead end until I purchase Aspire?

zeykr
01-05-2013, 04:44 PM
You can use the 3D artwork with partworks via partworks 3d or vectorart3d's 3d machinist software.

Tutorial is here:

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/support/aspire3_vcp6/pdf/2d-mach/Importing_3D_Toolpaths.pdf

Bob Eustace
01-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Nate your prayers are answered as Shopbot are holding a free online workshop next Wednesday from 1 PM.

There will be a two hour online training on the Partworks3D software. Users will be shown how to import a 3D model, scale it to size, toolpath it and bring it into Partworks to add some detail to an existing project.

Spaces fill up quick, size is currently limited to 25. Look forward to seeing you all on Wednesday.

1. Please join my meeting.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/190888309

2. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended.

Or, call in using your telephone.

Dial +1 (213) 493-0614
Access Code: 190-888-309
Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting

Meeting ID: 190-888-309

Joe Porter
01-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Nate, in case you are unaware, PartWorks and PartWorks 3D are Vectric products and in the tutorials on Vectric's website, They will refer to these as V-Carve Pro and Cut 3D respectivly. joe

Simops
01-07-2013, 03:46 AM
Nate your prayers are answered as Shopbot are holding a free online workshop next Wednesday from 1 PM.

Hey Bob....confirming is that 5AM our time?

cheers

Nate Sirek
01-08-2013, 11:22 PM
What time is the meeting Wednesday in central us standard time?

steve_g
01-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Nate

"Wednesday 1:00pmeastern time zone"

Should be noon Central time...

SG

Bob Eustace
01-09-2013, 02:25 AM
Hey Bob....confirming is that 5AM our time?

cheers

Looking forward to chatting with you Mike at 3 AM!! Ouch!

Nate Sirek
01-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Hey All,

Unfortunatley I missed Wednesdays online class. My work load this past week didn't allow for much learning time. However, I think it would be a good idea to part in one of these classes as I think they'll be a good learning experience. I've owned my bot since last May and aside from doing the wide variety of dumb 2-d cabinet shop cutting I've only just recently had some time to toy around with the sign making side of things -- way more fun then cutting cabinet parts! I had some African Mahogany and Maple scrap laying around so I thought I'd mess around with our company logo and make another v carved sign. This is what my finished product ended up like...I noticed I had way more sanding and clean up with the maple and mahogany then I did when carving cherry @ 2.0/1.0 feed rates.