PDA

View Full Version : Aspire at Mcgrew's Camp

cabnet636
01-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Ok we have a set of dates, James Booth has arranged travel and we will be setting formats soon, Fridays topic will be all about the new revisions of the software both VCP and Aspire, Saturday will be Questions and answers on the use of the vectric software..

more to come in a few days

DATES are April 12,13 2012

PLACE James McGrew Cabinetmakers, 3527 Main St. Columbia South Carolina 29203

mtylerfl
01-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Sounds great, Jim! I'll bring some samples of the Projects of the Month again this year - I may need two tables now. :)

cabnet636
01-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Mike you know we got Plenty o space !!

I will post more later, so no emails yet please !!

gene
01-03-2013, 10:25 PM
I want to come this year save me a seat:) I must learn to read the full post first. At least i didnt email yet!

cabnet636
01-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Gene it will be good to see you again, we have been working over at Aiken tech and barnwell,, we should get some lunch !

cabnet636
01-23-2013, 04:25 PM
looking forward to seeing all my old friends and making new ones,, Aspire 4 and the new software is the focus of this years camp !

gene
01-23-2013, 05:31 PM
Hey Jim,
I will be in touch next week to get registered . Are you still doing work in the aiken areas . If so lets get some lunch . See ya then:cool:

cabnet636
01-23-2013, 05:53 PM
we are over at Aiken tech, finished in Barnwell this week, yes I would like to see your shop !!

cabnet636
01-23-2013, 09:32 PM
wow pretty quick response fellows !! gonna be a good camp
if you send paypal and registration by email I get two emails I will respond to both within a few hours, if you do not get a response in say 24 hours call me

cabnet636
01-24-2013, 05:59 PM
made a mistake for those who tried to fax today the number is 803 933 9988

pretty heavy response look forward to seeing all !

Dang I almost forgot Buddy easler is gonna show us something about some software for taking maps to 3d !!

cabnet636
01-26-2013, 06:04 AM
I have gotten some questions on the topics and that I call this an Aspire Camp and how it benefits those who have Vcarve pro,, this is what James has told me for the agenda this year and I have no doubt that it will benefit all end users of the software,, I called it the Aspire camp back in 09 and the name stuck !! James is busy with the release so I am posting his response to me when we set this years agenda.

"plan to focus on showing the new features of VCP7/Aspire 4 and then just answering any questions or topics people want me to cover. I would not want to commit to a more formal set of training topics as we have in the past. I would hope given the likely timing of the release that this is what most people will be interested in anyway.

Given past experiences my ideal situation would be to have the whole of Friday 9 – 5 to cover the new software and then Saturday morning 9 – lunch to answer any questions or topics the attendees bring up on the Friday If other presenters could be scheduled for some time on Thursday or Saturday afternoon I think that would work best based on feedback I have had in the past."

crash5050
01-26-2013, 10:47 PM
made a mistake for those who tried to fax today the number is 803 933 9988

pretty heavy response look forward to seeing all !

Dang I almost forgot Buddy easler is gonna show us something about some software for taking maps to 3d !!

Ha Ha, I got my spot!

cabnet636
01-31-2013, 07:29 AM
TR Gold leafing,

If you want a kit go to Vectric forum and respond to TR on the McGrew camp thread

to ask questions as we go & hopefully we'll have the answers.
Because the smaller sizes of brushes are in short supply, it appears that there'll be a limit of 20 kits.

This year I intend to listen to this camp, when you hold these camps you believe it will all rub off on you,, Wrong !! I tried it and was not as prepared as I thought I would be, this is real popular and will be one of the highlight on Thursday and in the evenings,, we are holding the camp in April so we can have some good weather and extended hours,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeRg2_AaDtQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeRg2_AaDtQ)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr9M8JPUPfA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr9M8JPUPfA)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3m-EhHWocU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3m-EhHWocU)

registrations are 5+ daily this Camp will fill, I will be placing tshirt order by mid February, the shirts and hats will have the New vectric logo !

OK, this is coming together.

If you want a kit go to Vectric forum and respond to TR on the McGrew camp thread

Your Gold Leaf starter's kit will include everything you may have trouble sourcing elsewhere, & will allow you to complete samples & small jobs with it once you're home.

It will include....
-2 lettering quills ( likely a #2 & a #5) These are old stock, of very high quality
-Brush Oil ( to make these brushes last for the next generation)
-Gilder's Tip ( the funky brush for handling loose gold)
-Dux Fast Size, 1/2 pint. Size is the glue for the gold
-Burnishing pads
-1 book of leaf ( possibly mixed 23k loose, 23k patent & palladium patent.
-1 book composition leaf ( the cheap stuff, for practicing)

It will be $149. No sales tax. Visa & MC will be accepted.

There is nothing above that's not essential, although if you only worked on flat surfaces you wouldn't need the gilder's tip.
I will have extra gold & extra brushes for sale & I will also have the current price list for W&B products.

If you're serious about offering gold leaf as an option & want "a leg up" this is a prime opportunity. I'm also going to post something simple for you to cut out & prepare before the camp ( complete with prep instructions) so this will be "hands on". You'll be able to ask questions as we go & hopefully we'll have the answers.
Because the smaller sizes of brushes are in short supply, it appears that there'll be a limit of 20 kits.

cabnet636
02-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Shopbots T J Christiansen is bringing a shopbot to the camp !!! while the primary focus is the Vectric software I hope to give us all a lot to be involved in,, there is a laser company asking to come but I have not received a commitment, anyone want to bring a 3d printer ? Angus?

I have a next engine and will have it out, any one else on scanning ?

registrations are above 50% and for this early this will be a good gathering !

crash5050
02-03-2013, 12:17 AM
My wife just walked in with both hands on her head like she was trying to keep it from exploding and said "When's McGrew's Camp?" Can we go Now? I think there is an offspring issue at hand.

David

cabnet636
02-03-2013, 02:46 AM
just let me know!

myxpykalix
02-03-2013, 04:44 AM
Is anyone going to be recording any parts of these sessions to be posted? One of the youtube links was a guy gold leafing. That reminded me that i have a whole bunch of powdered gold and gold leaf (thin sheets) that i got when i bought my old art teachers home some 40 years ago. I know its real (not sure of its karat(?) weight(?) but it looks like alot more then just software training will be going on. Is there any cirriculum posted?

cabnet636
02-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Jack, Camps are held for many reasons, I consider Camaraderie and collusion of ideas to be next to the subject or topic the most important, I have found that to record and edit a video along with production is counterproductive to why we hold them.. Meeting the Vectric fellows along with all the others is a face to face experience which makes all we do online with just names on a screen become very Real !!

My Shop is a commercial Architectural woodworking shop at 21000 square feet there is plenty of room and resources to have a lot going on. the main body of subject is the Vectric software yet I work to make sure we have something for all!

the Basic footprint of curriculum is on the registration,, in addition Buddy Easler who some may remember is one of the fellows who has done real well with the topo maps in 3d will present some software he works with..

jerry_stanek
02-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Jack maybe you could pay to have Neil and his daughter Sam come and show you how it is done.

cabnet636
02-03-2013, 08:14 AM
they are registered, Sam I believe may be in on it with TR,, you coming this year ?

myxpykalix
02-03-2013, 10:05 AM
James I agree the main reason to come would be to meet some of the people I consider friends face to face. It's too bad we haven't perfected the "Vulcan Mind Meld" in order to absorb all that experience and talent in one place.

Right now with a sick parent I couldn't be gone that long and the trip would be too expensive for me. I do agree to do a video right would be alot of production and work.
I just wonder how effective it might be to set up a camera like shopbot does for their training and just let it run and "you get what you get"....

cabnet636
02-05-2013, 07:22 AM
I have not counted in the past few days, we are over 1/2 registered, Shopbot is sending a machine along with TJ from their shop, and Kieth Outten from the "Creek" has told me Protech is bringing a laser, Roger From Moziak Cabinetry software is coming as well. Buddy Easler has some software for making 3d topography and he has done well at this Thursday is going be a full day of expos then down to the Aspire release and James Booth along with Tim Merril, Micheal From Carve Buddy and Ryan Patterson of Cabinetpartspro, All Beta testers for Vectric. I hope all who are wanting to get registered as I intend to place the shirt orders and want plenty to fit.. this will all have the new Vectric logo on them. getting plenty of Chatter and excitement for this one !!

I was asked about the presentation on Topography and cnc, Buddy is coming to day to get some foam and we are doing one for display, this is some of the work he has done with this software

this is Table Rock State Park SC

chiloquinruss
02-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Is it possible that the topo session and the Aspire sessions could be videoed for us left coasters? Russ

sc.crab
02-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Do you have room for two maybe three more people?

harryball
02-05-2013, 08:22 PM
When you say Protech is bringing a laser, a laser cutter I'm assuming? or a laser scanner? I can't find a website with Protech name. Can we get a website?

/RB

cabnet636
02-05-2013, 08:25 PM
I may have the name wrong, Kieth Outten of sawmillcreek.org has set this up and from what I understand it is a laser cutter engraver, (I am not so up on this) I will have my next engine that I have learned a bit more about out as well. I will check with Kieth for more info. back in a bit

harryball
02-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Maybe it's Trotec laser cutters. I'd love to see one of those. If you have space we may have to venture up there again.

crash5050
02-05-2013, 10:28 PM
I would love to see a laser cutter/engraver at work! I might bring a pen to get my name engraved upon. A memento of the McGrew Aspire Camp 2013.

cabnet636
02-06-2013, 06:06 PM
yes it is trotec,, they expressed an interest and we are waiting confirm !!

crash5050
02-06-2013, 08:08 PM
James I agree the main reason to come would be to meet some of the people I consider friends face to face. It's too bad we haven't perfected the "Vulcan Mind Meld" in order to absorb all that experience and talent in one place.

Right now with a sick parent I couldn't be gone that long and the trip would be too expensive for me. I do agree to do a video right would be alot of production and work.
I just wonder how effective it might be to set up a camera like shopbot does for their training and just let it run and "you get what you get"....

Jack, I am with you. I feel like I know most of you guys, but if I ran smack into you on the street the only way we would know each other is the shopbot baseball caps we would be wearing..

cabnet636
02-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Camp has progressed nicely,, we are at 80% plus so get registered if you want !! we will have to cap it because I can handle 125- 135 including all from machines and other presentations, and I have to save 20-25 for them,,,

here are some of the generations of hats and this is this years New Vectric logo on this years hat !!

cabnet636
03-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Now that V4 is released we are filling up,, if you want to come speak up

harryball
03-08-2013, 09:37 AM
FYI, get a hotel now if you can, I still haven't found one I can afford close by, may end up 20 or 30 miles out.

My wife discovered why...
April 13-14 is the Columbia International Festival 2013
April 12 - 21 is the Indie Grits Film Festival
April 12 is the Palmetto Half Marathon
April 13 is the Columbia International Festival

I'm either told no vacancy or prices in excess of $120/night.

/RB

cabnet636
03-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Try Red Roof in on Twonotch,, many are staying there

jerry_stanek
03-08-2013, 11:11 AM
There is also a Microtel and some other ones on two notch road

rej
03-08-2013, 05:18 PM
I paid 75/night for this laquinta - king bed, free internet,breakfast, pillow top mattress.

LA QUINTA INN MAINGATE FORT JACKSON7333 GARNERS FERRY ROADCOLUMBIA, SC 29209(803) 783-5410

jerry_stanek
03-08-2013, 07:00 PM
I think the Red Roof is $55.The one on two notch

mikeb
03-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Just booked there, got the Canadian discount rate 55.01. See you there
Mike

harryball
03-08-2013, 10:36 PM
She persisted and found one that agreed to let Henry in so I think we are good now. The Red Roof Inn was our standby but the last RRI I stayed at left me wary of the whole chain so they are always low on my list.

Odd, the LaQuinta is one of the one's that reported no availability for the time.

See you guys there.

cabnet636
03-16-2013, 10:34 AM
we are at 15 seats left and getting ready !! James has set an Agenda for V4 of Aspire

Friday

08:00 – 09:00 – Lord Rodger TR MacMunn of Mountain Cove and his Gold Leafing Extravaganza

09:00 – 09:30 - Break

09:30 – 10:30 - What’s New in VCarve Pro 7 and Aspire 4 – General – Interface, Workflow etc.

10: 30 – 11:00 - Break

11:00 – 12:00 – What’s New VCP7/Asp4 – Drawing (vectors)

12:00 - 13:00 Lunch

13:00 – 14:00 – What’s New VCP7/Asp4 – Toolpaths

14:00 – 14:30 – Break

14:30 – 16:00 – What’s New in Aspire 4 – Modeling

Saturday

08:00 – 09:00 – Lord Rodger TR MacMunn of Mountain Cove and his Gold Leafing Extravaganza cont.

09:00 – 09:30 – Break

09:30 – 10:30 – Tips, Tricks and Questions

10:30 – 11:00 – Break

11:00 – 12:00 – Tips and Tricks cont.

cabnet636
04-08-2013, 10:51 AM
OK we are here !! Camp is sold out and there have been 5 cancels,, if any one wants to slip in let us know !!!

Look forward to seeing all this week !!