PDA

View Full Version : Good spoilboard

Swashc2
01-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have suggestions for a good spoilboard material? I have been using 3/4" MDF, but am having problems with the board warping on my 48x48 table. Any suggestions for better methods to try would be greatly appreciated. FYI, I am not worried about vacuum suction as I do not use one.

Thanks

steve_g
01-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Scott

You will find many opinions as to what makes a good spoil board... For me, I found that without vacuum, 3/4" Baltic birch makes the most stable medium... it doesn't shrink or swell like MDF and holds my double sided tape well. I recently discovered Medex, an exterior grade MDF. I'm impressed with its ability to hold a v-carved edge and am tempted to try it as a spoil board...

SG

rb99
01-25-2013, 01:45 AM
How is the Medex holding up outdoors?

steve_g
01-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Richard

"How is the Medex holding up outdoors?"

I don't know... Ask me in a year or so! I'd appreciate others input here but I should start another thread...

SG

Rob Gunn
01-25-2013, 08:26 AM
I have been thinking of trying a section of Bowling ally lane:confused: Yes thats what I said, Bowling ally lane! A guy close to me sells it in cut lengths as work bench tops. If I ever cross the line and try it I will let you all know how well it works.

tomwillis
01-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Rob - I have some experience with bowling alley and would not recommend it for use as a spoilboard. Mine was 2 1/2" thick rock maple that was nailed sideways with tons of spikes, screws and nails....some lurking beneath the surface only an 1/8 or so down. What I did do - was use the bot to make an mdf template for sinks and used it as a countertop 17' long. Because of the thickness - to simply mount the sinks underneath was not an option....so I took the time to cut all but the last 3/4 of inch and then mounted the sinks. Pics attached.
Tom

Swashc2
01-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Steve

What companies have you found that sell the 3/4" Baltic birch in large plywood sheets? I have called around to all of the local lumber yards and all the places only carry standard grade birch.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Scott

zeykr
01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Call a local cabinet maker and find out who the cabinet material vendors are in your area.

shilala
01-25-2013, 01:14 PM
I use two layers of 3/4" Baltic Birch, glued and screwed, then sealed with deck stain (because my shop isn't always heated and there's no air conditioning).
It's worked great, and it was recommended by the guys here.
I can get 4'x8' and 5'x5' at an Amish sawmill near me, although I think I got this stuff at a box store.

myxpykalix
01-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Thomas, all i can say regarding your "bowling alley" counter tops is.........
STEEEEEE-RIKE!:D Beautiful work.

tomwillis
01-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks Jack. It was tons of work - but worth it in the end....and tons of compliments from family & friends that visit.
Tom

steve_g
01-25-2013, 03:55 PM
What companies have you found that sell the 3/4" Baltic birch

Scott
I wasn't really able to tell from your profile what industry, if any, you might be consider yourself to be in... if you have suppliers that you regularly use, don't be afraid to ask them if they carry it or have contacts with someone who does. Generally the retail hobby woodworker stores are too expensive to consider buying from... Locally for me... the sign supply houses sometimes carry it, Steel rule die supply companies and cabinet/contractor suppliers carry it.

If you don't have a registered company name and a tax number you'll likely need one to buy from most of these suppliers.

Beware of Chinese imports/knockoffs... forum members have found any number of metals and trash imbedded in the plys. For a spoil board you are looking for grade BB/BB this means that the both faces have imperfections but they are plugged with "football" patches. Quality Baltic Birch has no voids in the interior plys...

SG