PDA

View Full Version : Looking for extra height

Rick W
01-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't work, or problems with it?
I was thinking of grinding off the little nubs off of my router, loosening the sleeve and sliding the router up an inch or two for extra room in the z. I can't see any problem (other than the dust shoe). Mechanically, I think it would be sound...?????

Rik

steve_g
01-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Rick

The nubs engage the threads in a base when used as a hand held router... I use the bottom one to locate and prevent my dust shoe from rotating. Shouldn't need them otherwise.

SG

rww
01-25-2013, 10:54 PM
I was able to pull them out with some pliers and a slight counterclockwise turn.

cowboy1296
01-26-2013, 10:08 AM
I found others on here who did what you posted. Based on their advise I did it and gained over an inch. For what it matters, i put a laser in the chuck just this past week and spun it around to see if it was not square or plummed. It showed to be perfect.

Joe Porter
01-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Rick W., If you go to the ShopBot website and look around, they used to have instructions on how to turn the router mounting plate upside down and gain quite a bit of Z travel. Also, those nibs can go and raise the body of your router as you and others have said. But, just remember, everything has a price. If you raise your router too much, the blue base of the Z plate can get too low and hit a clamp or your work....joe

Steve M
01-26-2013, 04:33 PM
The added bonus of raising the router in the clamp is that the clamp is closer to the bottom bearing of the router for better rigidity.

Rick W
01-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks very much for the input guys.

Really appreciate it!!

Rik