PDA

View Full Version : help with cutting long taper

antihero
01-30-2013, 12:31 AM
i have an older second PRS with the PC router. I use autocad to draft and partswizard to develop toolpaths. I have gotten pretty good at 2d but would like to try some 3d. I amy very familiar at using autocad in 3d but not so sure how to translate that to partswizard.

I am planning out a large solid fir dining room table which i would like to machine the bottom using the cnc. In particular i would like to have the underside of each end of the table to taper from the 2" material thickness to about 1/2" over the course of ~16". on the long table sides i would also like to develop a nice chamfer of around 30 degrees. The long sides will also have shallow radius curve to them. How would someone develop the tool paths to do this. I can imagine a bunch of offset lines with each stepping down a little but is there a way which i could do it all in one process? Which bit would be ideal. Hoping for a relatively smooth surface to minmize sanding. hope that i explained myself well enough. thanks for any input.

bleeth
01-30-2013, 06:17 AM
Chad:
This is beyond Part Wizard's capability, as it is a 2-d program and 3-d work can not be programmed into it.
However, the extruder tool in the SB control software was designed to do things like you have in mind. Open SB control software, click on tools, then extruder. You will see a help button that takes you to the "how-to" pdf.

Definitely try it out on scraps first!

Dave

garyc
01-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Chad...
You may be able to put some of this info to use: http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php/2010/12/z-extruder/