View Full Version : Exporting a DXF problems

jmurawski
01-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Finally got my shopbot buddy up and running in our woodshop at school and am trying to export a DXF file out of sketch-up pro into partworks. Every time I open the DXF in partworks though the file comes over the wrong size. I cannot figure out what the issue is . For example a 12x12 box with open as 13.25x13.25 or close to it. Am I missing something ? Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. thanks !

paul_z
01-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Josh,

It would be easier to get help if you post the file.

Paul Z

CNYDWW
01-31-2013, 06:21 PM
There's an issue with sketchup's export function. The scale is always off. I use a plugin to export dxf and stl's.

The first download link is what you need.

http://www.guitar-list.com/download-software/convert-sketchup-skp-files-dxf-or-stl

Follow the instructions on the page to install and use the plugin. I use it here and at work.

Regards

dlcw
01-31-2013, 07:26 PM
The one Randy mentioned works pretty well. I've been using it for several weeks now and it does a good export that picks up very well in Aspire/Partworks.

ssflyer
01-31-2013, 10:22 PM
I have the same plug-in. Seemed to work well when I tried it. A workaround for the pro export would be to draw a box around your part at a known size, and scale the imported vectors to that - Example: Say your bounding box was at 12x12, select all the imported vectors and scale to 12x12.

Hope that makes sense... :)

CNYDWW
02-01-2013, 06:07 AM
I have the same plug-in. Seemed to work well when I tried it. A workaround for the pro export would be to draw a box around your part at a known size, and scale the imported vectors to that - Example: Say your bounding box was at 12x12, select all the imported vectors and scale to 12x12.

Hope that makes sense... :)

Nice trick, Ron.

CNYDWW
02-01-2013, 06:08 AM
I almost think i remember making a little picture tutorial for it but i don't remember if it's on this forum or not. I'll see what i can find when i get a min or two.

Regards

jmurawski
02-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Randy -
Thanks for the help on the file converter. It loaded up great and its up in the sketch-up menu now. When I go to export my file as a DXF it asks what I want to save it as, I save as a DXF polymesh like the website suggested, when I save it it does not give me an option of what file type to save it as, so I just save it. When I attempt to open it up in PartWorks the file comes in but is still wrong sized, I know its there becuase I can highlight it, but it really is just a single line almost as if a exported a 3D model . Does this make any sense. Thanks again for all the help !!!

Brady Watson
02-01-2013, 09:12 AM
You cannot import a DXF 'polymesh', or any mesh file, into PartWorks 2D. Data will show up as a line. Any mesh type data is considered 3D, and can only be opened with PartWorks3D.

-B

CNYDWW
02-01-2013, 10:14 AM
I had to cut some overtime. I'll whip up a tutorial.

jmurawski
02-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Randy - that would be great if you get time to put one together - thanks so much

adrianm
02-01-2013, 11:51 AM
What you can do is to use the calculated functions in PartWorks/VCarve/Aspire to scale the drawing to what it should be.

Let's say we know that a shape that should be 10" wide has come in at 9.8" wide. We can use that to scale all the vectors in the design:

1. Select all the vectors by pressing Ctrl-A or drag select.
2. Bring up the "Set Selected Object Size" tool.
3. Make sure Link XY is checked.
4. Enter the following in the Width input field after the value that is already there "*(10/9.8)=" (don't enter the quotes)

As soon as you press = the value in the Width field will be calculated to compensate for the difference. The height will be adjusted by the same ratio automatically.

Basically it's dimension*(desired dimension/actual dimension).

CNYDWW
02-01-2013, 05:45 PM
I put together a tutorial. I uploaded it to google drive and set it so anyone with the link can view and/or download. I did this due to size.

Regards
Randy
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4K1ja8Ehd8Xd2xaREdxZmxnVXc/edit?usp=sharing

jmurawski
02-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Randy - This worked out great ! Thanks for taking the time and putting that together - Josh

CNYDWW
02-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Randy - This worked out great ! Thanks for taking the time and putting that together - Josh

Most welcome.

Regards

pkirby
02-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Mainly due to boredom, I tried to figure out a way for the default export function in Sketchup Pro to work correctly; and I think I figured it out. Here's my process:
1) Since Partworks works only in 2D my first job was to clean up my sketchup parts to only have a flat surface (no thickness, see parts in background in picture below).
2) Use the "Export 3D Model" function (I found a lot of errors with the 2D Export)
3) Click on the "Options" button and change the settings to the picture below:
4) I found that exporting it as a .dwg retains arcs/curves better than exporting as a .dxf

Everything, including scale exported correctly into Partworks.

adrianm
02-14-2013, 04:08 AM
Good spot Paul, I've used Sketchup Pro for years and I never thought of exporting in that way to get around the bug.

Zeron
02-14-2013, 05:26 PM
For Sketchup Pro; turn off Camera -> Perspective; the user Camera -> Standard Views -> Top and your export will work correctly every time.

gerryv
03-05-2013, 07:35 AM
A really excellent and valuable discussion. Thanks much everyone.