PDA

View Full Version : How to switch between metric and US units?

bluesky123
02-04-2013, 09:56 PM
I apologize for asking a silly question (I swear, I looked through the User Manual and OpenSBP command manual but couldn't find the answer): how to switch the software from interpreting numbers as inches (and speeds as in/sec) to millimeters (mm/sec)?

I can certainly do unit conversions outside of ShopBot Control Software, but it's a pain to look at part files with all the, originally metric, dimensions converted to inches...

Thanks,
Boris

adrianm
02-05-2013, 03:29 AM
To change the SB3 software, type VD (or go to the Values menu and choose Display Values).

Change the first value (Display Units) to inches or millimetres.

I may well be misunderstanding what you're saying but it sounds like the actual files you are generating are in a different unit than you would like. In which case you need to choose the correct Post Processor from PartWorks/VCarve/Aspire or whichever CAM software you're using.

From the situation you're describing it sounds as though you're saving your toolpaths using an inch Post Processor when you should be using a metric one.

bluesky123
02-05-2013, 12:11 PM
To change the SB3 software, type VD (or go to the Values menu and choose Display Values).
Thank you for the tip, I've overlooked VD. Unfortunately, like with many other commands, the description is rather vague... I'll have to try this command and see if it only affects the display of the values or it also tells SB3 software to treat all the numbers in .sbp files as either inches or millimeters.

I may well be misunderstanding what you're saying but it sounds like the actual files you are generating are in a different unit than you would like.
I generate my own tool paths from my C++ code as well as look at .sbp files created by Autodesk CNC Utility, http://www.123dapp.com/aboutcnc
This free utility does a pretty decent job generating rough tool paths, but doesn't expose all the options to the user and its finishing paths aren't as good. That's why I decided to write my own generator to have all the control over the finishing path.

Thank you for your help,
Boris

jerry_stanek
02-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Use the TS command and change the setup to use MM instead of inches.

adrianm
02-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Changing the unit value with VD won't change the values in the files. You would have to generate your files to match the VD value.

That's the beauty of the CAM programs. You can design in imperial, metric or a mix of both (I use metric measurements but imperial feed rates) and the post processor outputs everything into one set of units converting as it goes.

Bob Eustace
04-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Boris I went through this exercise with the experts here and now design in mm or imperial using Aspire/Partworks but ALWAYS save with the same post processor as SB3 is set to. This system is idiot proof I think! Agree that none of this is easy to research using help files..