PDA

View Full Version : Electrical supply question for install

mgunneras
02-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi all, this is my first post in this forum. I've got a new shopbot PRSStandard + 4HP single phase spindle coming in the next week or two and I've got some questions about electrical requirements.

The Shopbot documentation says the control box needs 20A @ 110V and the spindle needs 30A @ 220V.

I've encountered posts in this forum where some say their running their controlbox/motors on 110V @ 15A circuit. I also found a post where someone measured the actual draw of the 4hp hsd spindle to 9A at load.

Now my situation is this, I'm setting up the shopbot in my workshop for only about a month to route masonite for a project, after that we're packing up to move to a new location. In our current location we only have 110V@15A and 220V@20A. So it's below the recommended circuits however anecdotal posts in this forum seems to say that I could pull off this project without paying my electrician the $800 dollars he want to upgrade my wiring. In our new shop we're moving too we have adequate power, so me question is should I be alright for this lighter project or am I setting myself up for failure and disappointment?

Thanks

bob_reda
02-06-2013, 01:51 PM
I am no electrical expert. What I would recommend is you do neither. wait to you move to set up the shopbot to the recommended electrical issues. Not worth the trouble you may encounter for a few cuts. If its a paying job, see if you can source it out. You may be going through all of this effort just to keep blowing out breakers and having to replace them, and what damage it might do to the controll board and spindle.

Bob

Brady Watson
02-06-2013, 01:52 PM
You have to adhere to FLA (full load amp) ratings. Look for the white sticker on your control box. That's what you need. You can run into a condition where you power starve the VFD & it shuts down. This is of course assuming that you have full voltage, and you are not running under voltage.

What you are asking is against what ShopBot recommends for wiring the tool. You'll have to kick in for the right electric supply or take your chances. Nobody on this board is qualified to answer your questions, and your ultimate answer should come from a licensed electrician. When in doubt, defer to the sticker on your control box that instructs you on the proper power requirements for your tool.

-B

mgunneras
02-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Bob, yes I know, it might be painful to have to setup the the bot for only one project and although it's not really heavy stuff I still need to do this one in house.

Brady, thanks for the information. I'm just going to go ahead and get the electrician in - better be safe than sorry.