PDA

View Full Version : Game Room Sign

Jordy23
02-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Hello everyone this is my first post on here. I wanted to share a project I did as a Christmas present. This was a 3" thick slab of Walnut that a friend happened across. I am fairly new to the ShopBot so I decided to try some of the things I have read about on the forum.
I machined one side flat then flipped it and continued to machine it until I reached 1.25". Then I VCarved the words and did a 3D Deer scene. It was challenging to layout the letters so it semi followed the shape of the wood.

This was only the 2nd project I have attempted on the ShopBot and I think it turned out fairly well.

Enjoy!

Jordy

Brian Harnett
02-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Nice job, especially for your second project.

bobmoore
02-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Nice work Jordan. You won't find a better wood to carve than walnut.
Bob

terryjones
02-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Jordy,

That is really super for you second project. How did you finish it and with what?
Keep up the great work and post your next project. Eager to see.:)

Terry

Jordy23
02-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. The walnut was excellent to carve. It had many colors in it. The pictures don't do it justice there are some purples, peach, and other shades in it.

As far as finish goes I stained the scene and letters with a dark walnut stain to make them pop then sanded the entire thing to clean up the spots where my shaky hands got stain where it didn't belong. Then I sanded some of the high spots in the scene to make it pop.
I topped it off with a satin poly.

jeffery
02-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Hope you enjoyed using your Bot. Looks like you got the hang of it quick....:D look forward to more pix of future projects!:)

myxpykalix
02-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Jordan,
Did i read right...you planed a 3" piece of walnut down to 1.25"? Seems like a big waste of beautiful material. But you made it look great!:D

cowboy1296
02-14-2013, 08:34 AM
I luv black walnut but am almost out of it. A local mill, who is over priced, wants 18 a board foot. Anyhow excellant job.

mjindustry
03-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Very nice gameroom sign, Jordy!

Hoytbasses
03-03-2013, 07:24 AM
18 a BF is crazy!
you can go online and get some great and beautiful woods delivered to your door. still a bit overpriced but not anywhere like 18 bf. Walnut, cherry and figured/spalted maples are my favorite woods!

great job (from one total rookie to another) .... so far we've managed to trash a bit and kill a bunch of plywood in our learning curve... but are close to posting our first project soon(not as cool as yours)

Karl

cowboy1296
03-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Oh I agree which is why I did not buy anything. Everything they have is over priced but what they do have is inventory of great hardwood. These boards are kiln dried but a still rough cut.

Hoytbasses
03-03-2013, 09:27 AM
most of the local lumber shops around these parts will surface your stock on 2 sides for 10-15 cents a linear foot......if you don't have a planer, it's definitely worth the money. I have a huge planer in our school shop, but I still pay for surfacing at the mill just to save on wear and tear on the old girl.