PDA

View Full Version : A5 mandolin.......

Max Girouard
02-14-2013, 08:23 PM
It is always fun looking at photos of the object in CAD, then looking at them in real life........

Max Girouard
02-14-2013, 08:24 PM
real life....

Max Girouard
02-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Let me try a bigger photo.....

MogulTx
02-14-2013, 08:49 PM
OH MAN!!!!!!

Now THAT is Maple!!!!!! WOW!!!!!

myxpykalix
02-14-2013, 09:16 PM
real life beats the hell out of cad!! Beautiful:D

scottp55
09-30-2013, 08:48 AM
Max, That is beautiful Quilted and went onto your website and drooled over the pictures. You mentioned vac bag to Brady when you were experimenting with your hold downs, are those all veneers? A lot look bookmatched vs. rotary, do you resaw? Beautiful work! My Dad must drive close to you everytime he comes down to see how the desktop is doing. You're not that far away. If you ever could come down to give a newbie some pointers I could pay in 8/4x12 quilted as good as you show. I Like that burnt/sunburst finish, how? Scott

srwtlc
09-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Beautiful! Post us a tune. ;)

Max Girouard
10-01-2013, 09:16 AM
I use a vacuum pump (for my hold down fixtures) that I had bought with my vacuum press for veneers, but the mandolins are all solid woods carved to shape. The sides are bent on a hot electric pipe, thought I may be switching over to a gas powered one soon. Many pieces are book matched, and some are slip matched depending on if I could find a nice piece good enough to slip match. Most of the tonewood dealers I use give me book matched pieces, but every once in a while when I'm shopping at the local lumber yard, I find a wonderfully figured 4/4 board that is too thin to use, but can be slip matched to make a nice mandolin. I'm heading up your way sometime around the end of October early Novemeber. Larui and I would love to stop in and see your operation. I'm sure there are plenty of things we could learn from each other. The bursts are done with trans tint dyes rubbed on and blended. Lauri does a great job with it. There are also areas that are sprayed to even areas out and the dark edging is sprayed on with an air brush shooting dyed shellac.

Scott, I'll find a good sound clip to post.............

Oh and here is another crazy quilted maple back in our current batch.

scottp55
10-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Crazy quilt is right. Not much of an operation but welcome anytime. Beautiful. scott

mrgadget
10-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Very beautiful work!! Love to see instruments like that! Keep up the good work and please keep posting your work.

Jay

Hoytbasses
10-07-2013, 06:10 AM
Dayum!

After 'only ' a few decades of building instruments, I still get all excited about a really beautiful piece of tonewood. I get MORE excited when I find a hunk of instrument grade wood at a lumberyard, a firewood pile, or wherever.

I'm inching closer and closer to getting some 3d stuff done on my desktop.... in part due to your feedback and suggestions, Max.. thanks.......

Karl Hoyt