PDA

View Full Version : Columbo collets

mtworks
12-19-2004, 11:02 AM
I have a new 3HP spindle on the way,and am in the process of ordering extra needed parts and such for it. Does anyone know what size collet comes standard with it? can a 1/4" and a 1/8" be ordered for it? Possibly a sleeve to reduce bit size. Is there anything else that might be handy?

ron brown
12-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Greetings Leo,

I have a vehicle with 245hp. What size tires does it have?

Did I give you enough information to help me? Did you give us enough to help you? The answer is NO in each case. Your thread title Columbo Collect and the 3HP tells us a bit.

I "think" that uses an ER25 collet. Collets can be had from 0.75mm to 16mm. That is a range of from less than 1/16 to over 5/8 of an inch. I doubt you wil need a sleve to reduce further.

Do you have whenches? Do you have a spare Collet nut?

BTW - what color is my car?

HTH,
Ron

mikejohn
12-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Leo
What I think Ron is trying to say in his understated Texan manner is:
If you are able to supply the model number of your new spindle, no doubt there will be other ShopBotters who have a similar tool. They will be pleased, no doubt, to assist with your question, and suggest auxilery equipment.

Ron
Barbie pink?

....Mike

yendor
12-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Leo,

You'll enjoy the Columbo spindle. It will come with a set of wrenches and I believe a 1/2 and 1/4 collet but it's been a while. I started out ordering a range of collets from 1/8 through 1/2 by 1/8ths but found I started using just two most of the time and have since ordered more collets those two sizes. It will depend of your work. The ER25 cost $25 each typically.

Things I found I needed were and extra collet nut, spare collets for often used sizes. Collet plugs will extend your collet life. I don't reccoment reducing sleeves. Also a brush for cleaning the collets and nut is handy too.

I keep a neat shop but those wrenches seem to blend in so I painted the handles bright orange and drill a hole in them to hang them right were I typically make tool changes. Made a big difference.

Start slow and see what you use/need most. Parts are available overnight if needed and within a few days at worst.

mtworks
12-19-2004, 06:52 PM
I appologize for being vague in asking my question. I do not know what model the 3HP Columbo spindle that shopbot is sending me. I basically wanted to know what style (ER20, 25 or another)the collet is, as I have only seen 1 spindle in action, and that was at the shopbot factory. By the way, I thought newbies were allowed to ask a few stupid questions?

Brady Watson
12-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Leo,
By all means ask your questions without reserve ~ newbie or not. Ignore personalities that can't play nicely. Congratulations on your new tool and welcome to the ShopBot community.

Shopbot only sells 3 & 5hp Colombo-brand spindles...and both take an ER25 collet. It comes with wrenches, 1/4" and 1/2" collets. You will most likely want to pick up a 3/8" and 1/8" collet to expand your tooling possibilites.

When you go to put a tool in for the 1st time, keep in mind that you have to twist the collet into the nut, then screw the nut onto the spindle...then insert tool and tighten. The screw-in collet was not immediately apparent to me...

-Brady

fleinbach
12-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Brady's right, pertaining to the collet and nut,There are no instructions with the spindle other then a manuel containing technical and electrical data only. I did not realize how to properly seat the collet into the threaded nut until a 1/2 bit came flying out. Then I looked more closely and figured it out. Strangely even though it was not seated properly it was still good enough to cut acuratly.

paco
12-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Bits are sometime quite suprising Frank... I have this 1" 1/4" carbide tiped 2 straight edges that BANG in a clamp at 30"/sec. with it's tip and this tool was alright even after a such encounter!!! It's the clamp that got a bite out of this event... and the main gantry got off rails!!! But I sure would'nt like to be around if one was flighting out in the shop!!!
...sorry.

elcruisr
12-20-2004, 06:33 AM
Leo,
hang in there and ask away! There's lots of things that many of us here had to learn the same way. I drove the tech support people crazy at first. One of the things to remember is that your collets are as important as your cutting tools. Don't scrimp on either one! At least not if you want good consistent results. Always use high quality precision collets and understand collets wear out just like the cutting tools. Collet life is rated by most manufacturers at between 100 and 200 hours. My experience bears out their reccomendations. It will still hold a tool but the cut quality starts to suffer. Many of the "big iron" guys also use collet plugs on the back of the collet if the tool doesn't fill the whole collet.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Eric

dingwall
12-20-2004, 08:19 AM
Speaking of collets. Colombo has a new collet nut with a thrust bearing contacting the collet. That way there's no torque placed on the collet as the nut is tightened. I haven't tried one yet, but I sure like the idea.

mtworks
12-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks Guys for the info. Have had a family woodworking business for many years, and now am trying to convert from std woodworking to a more router/production base, and am having to relearn many new things again.

mrdovey
12-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Leo...

Enco sells a complete ER-25 collet set for $179 that'll allow you to chuck up anything within the ER-25's normal range. You'll probably want to set aside a back-up collet nut.

...Morris

Brady Watson
12-21-2004, 01:28 PM
The Enco PN for the set is DB307-2790 @ $189.95.

-Brady

ron brown
12-22-2004, 12:07 AM
http://www.usshoptools.com/ - I've never done business with them but they have good prices according to this PDF file: http://tinyurl.com/5mo4a , $11 to $12.50 a collet.

Ron