PDA

View Full Version : Machining White Oak

Donnalu
02-27-2013, 07:33 AM
Does anyone have any experience with white oak ply--1/4" specifically? I have a request for a job where they need intricate panels made of 1/4" white oak. The wood is expensive and since I have never machined it, I'm afraid of splintering and voids. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Donna

dana_swift
02-27-2013, 09:14 AM
splintering is minimized with compression bits, but never eliminated. An alternative is to use a downshear for the first half of a full depth cut, and an upshear for the second half of the cut. That gives support to both sides without the compromises a compression bit has. So you have a choice between compromises- do you prefer a bit change or the one trip compression method.

If you are only cutting partway through, use downshear. Use clean sharp bits and consider using a rough cut to do the cut-through and a cleanup cut inside that to make a cleaner edge.

Hope that was useful.

D

Donnalu
02-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks, Dana.

I have found that using a downcut for the first pass, and an upcut for the final pass yields good results. Most of the material I cut is 1/4" or less, so I have never had any luck with compression bits.

Do you know if the wood has any voids in it? The 1/4" material I would use has an mdf core.

Thanks,
Donna

srwtlc
02-27-2013, 10:00 AM
A MDF core product won't have voids. On occasion you may see some separation depending on the quality of the product and if it has been damaged on a corner.

You could use a mortise compression bit as the convergence of the the up/down is less than 0.25". To eliminate the entry splintering that can happen with a compression bit, you can program in an approach to the profile and that way the upcut portion of the bit will be below the surface when it gets to the profile. This can be a pain to apply for many intricate cuts though.

wberminio
02-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Donna
If you are using mdf core, then you'll not have worry about any voids.
Make sure you have a good hold down(vacuum) and cut in atleast 2 passes for 1/4

Erminio

Donnalu
02-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks so much! I appreciate everyones response!

dlcw
02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Donna
If you are using mdf core, then you'll not have worry about any voids.
Make sure you have a good hold down(vacuum) and cut in atleast 2 passes for 1/4

Erminio

Also, if you are using a classic core - multiple plys and then a 1/8" layer of MDF just below the veneer. No voids and half the weight (it seems anyway :eek:) of solid MDF panels. Classic core also holds screws like regular plywood. That's all i use anymore. Excellent edges on all veneers so far. No chipping.

wberminio
02-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Don
Does classic core come in 1/4" th?

dlcw
02-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Don
Does classic core come in 1/4" th?

I know only of 1/2" and 3/4". For 1/4" the only thing I've been able to get is MDF core. I don't shop at big box stores, only wholesale distributors, and they don't carry a multi-ply 1/4" in any species.

Donnalu
02-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks, everyone!

This forum is the best!