View Full Version : Cutting Bronze

majohnson
02-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Anyone cut bronze with a PRS Standard using a PC router? Its a project for myself so time isn't an issue. I have end mills that I use on my Bridgeport so toolings won't be an issue. Also feeds and speeds for aluminum and bronze if you have tried it.

twelchPTM
03-04-2013, 08:57 AM
i have cut aluminum and engraved brass, they were both small jobs that didn't need to be pretty so I didn't "perfect" my feeds. Problem I had was the bit clogging up with the aluminum chips, what worked for me was a little wd-40. As far as speeds go all I really have to offer is SLOW

majohnson
03-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the reply. My worry is the router speed. Cutting on aluminum on my mill is about 2000 rpm, where with the router it starts at 10k.

Brady Watson
03-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Forget everything you know about milling...you will be routing. Ditch the end mill and get some single flute spiral-O tools from HarveyTool.com or Onsrud. They are designed specifically for routing metals. Start @ MS,1.2,0.7 and 13-15k RPM as a baseline. Use dust collection to aid cooling. Ramp into the cut & never plunge straight down into the material.

-B

twelchPTM
03-07-2013, 09:14 AM
yea what he said...

donek
03-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Brady's steering you right. End Mills don't work well. I get my aluminum router bits from MSC. Just search "aluminum router" on MSC. I use the acupro and have never had any problem. I believe I run my PC router at top speed and typically move at 1.2in/sec just like Brady. Maximum cut depth in my experience is 0.05in. I do purchase the 3/4in long cutters though and just grind the end off and resharpen when it gets dull. I have a piece of 1/4in copper tubing that I mount and blow air to clear chips. I do it all dry with no lubricant.

twelchPTM
03-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Brady's steering you right.
I think Brady does a good job steering us all right. Three cheers for Brady!
(But I wonder if he spend more time trolling the forum's then he does working!)

Brady Watson
03-08-2013, 01:55 AM
I try to help out when I can...;)

-B

donek
03-10-2013, 12:55 AM
(But I wonder if he spend more time trolling the forum's then he does working!)

Brady's got the robots programming the robots, so he can spend his time helping here. Duh.

majohnson
03-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Gentlemen Thanks for the info. I do have some of the aluminum bits, it sounds like nothing to it but to do it.