PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Brand New Desktop Model

alan
03-09-2013, 01:22 AM
I have 2 problems with my new Desktop model - and I haven't cut a single thing yet. I've sent email to the Support guys, but I also want to check if anyone else out there experiences the same thing.

The lead screw motors get hot even if the ShopBot is not doing anything (just the main power switch turned on). I can't get to the Y axis motor, but I assume it also gets hot. Anyway, just sitting there doing nothing for 10 to 15 minutes, the Z and X axis motors become too hot to touch. I can only imagine how hot they must get when cutting.

Finally, I've tried to load the latest control software (3.8.x.x). Supposedly, the Desktop model should be able to use it. But I have not been able to get it to work and have always had to go back to 3.6.44.

Anybody else have the same experience?

jerry_stanek
03-09-2013, 06:51 AM
I know on my PRS standard that the motors get warm just sitting as they are under power

Hoytbasses
03-09-2013, 07:40 AM
give them a call..... I forget the fellow i talked to when I was having trouble loading the desktop software but it was quarter to five on a friday and he was as pleasant and helpful as could be. he knew exactly what to do and had me running in about 10 minutes!

Karl

bill.young
03-09-2013, 08:43 AM
hey Alan,

1) Stepper motors are different than most motors that we're used to, in that they are working hardest when they are doing "nothing"...holding the axis in place. And they all get pretty hot. I've got a brand new Desktop in my shop that I've been using to mill circuit boards, and the motors do get very hot even when they're just sitting still.

2) I've been running 3.8.2 on my Desktop (and most of the other ShopBots in my shop) since it came out. Since you can successfully run an earlier version the drivers installed correctly and connection is good, so I'm betting that your problem is that the firmware just needs to be updated after the install. It's a simple process and you should see a message box after the install that prompts you to update the firmware...just follow those steps.

If that doesn't solve your problem, Support will get you going quickly.

Bill

alan
03-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys, especially Bill for your detailed explanation. From what you say, I feel better. It was the fact that they get hot without doing any work that had me worried. I'm going to have another crack at the new control software. I was not able to update the firmware because it kept telling me to turn the control box switch off and then back on - in an infinite loop. I'll keep trying until I get it now that I know it is possible.

Thanks again, everyone!

alan
03-09-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm up and running! Thanks again, everyone.

Coogara
03-09-2013, 02:13 PM
I just want to chime in on the heat question with the stepper motors on the desktop. The work that the Z stepper motor is doing at rest can be seen by using the keyboard control to raise the spindle/router to a height. Switch off the machine and you will see the height of the spindle/router drop an inch or more to a more natural position. The stepper is doing a good deal of work to resist that natural drop due to the weight. My steppers get good and hot, keeping me warm in the shed on these 30C+ days! ;)

Cheers

Graeme