PDA

View Full Version : Question on the Kent dust shoe

GeneMpls
03-10-2013, 03:41 PM
If you put a Kent dust shoe on a machine with a PC router...
does the router air exhaust into the vacuum suction? And
how does that work? I have been modifying my SB shoe and
thinking about how they work. Thanks Gene

cowboy1296
03-11-2013, 08:18 AM
The vaccum hose hooks up to the shoe only and is no where near the router itself. Still working on my first cup so maybe my picture will explain what you need to know.

GeneMpls
03-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the reply- what I am asking about is the cooling air that is
exhausted out the bottom of the router. It obviously blows down and
then the vacuum takes it I guess. The exhaust tends to blow dust around
on my machine and I would think that it would blow dust out past the
brush on the dust shoe? Must work as people seem to love them. Gene

cowboy1296
03-11-2013, 01:08 PM
It is the only one i have ever used. I use to just clean up a ton of saw dust after each project. After breating enough black walnut dust to build a house with I stated getting daily headaches. The shoe does not get 100 percent of the dust but the vast majority of it and the headaches are now gone. a dust collector is a must if for no other reasons then health.

Joe Porter
03-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Gene, I have the Kent Dust Shoe and PC router. Yes, there is a lot of exhaust air from the router, but the horse hair bristles around the shoe effectively stop the outward flow and do their job. Just one little exception, I only use a 24" wide table and if I get close to the front edge, the shoe will hang over out into the air. You kind of lose some suction that way. That is where the ShopBot shoe is better, unless it hangs out over the back of the table. You can't win for losing...I like the Kent shoe because it is easy to change bits and looks neat.. as far as suction is concerned, you need a pretty powerful DC, I have a Jet 1.5 HP model and it does the job. If you do much carving, take the dust shoe off and not use the DC. Use an air deflector for the PC that ShopBot sells. It works pretty good and lets your DC rest. Do not run that PC without a shoe or deflector of some kind, It will blow dust all over the shop!! joe

Mark Farris
03-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Gene,
I have a 2003 PRT with the Porter Cable and Kent dust shoe connected to a 3hp Oneida Dust Gorilla. I have the same comment as Joe about when the shoe comes off the project as the x axis gets close to 0. Other than that I use the Kent shoe for everything and have excellent success, probably collects 90-95% of most dust and chips. I see no negative to the router exhaust exiting within the shoe. One other positive for the Kent shoe is that I had him modify mine for a 3" hose which gave me a little more clearance on my PRT Ycar, he was most agreeable to make the modification and had it to me in a couple days. I highly recommend the Kent shoe. On a sidebar I have great suction with the 3" hose.

Mark

GeneMpls
03-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys- I figured it must work as everyone seems to like it. Does
someone have a pict of the exhaust deflector that SB sells- I don't see
it on their site. Gene

jerry_stanek
03-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Also most dust collectors have more air flow than the fan on the router

Joe Porter
03-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Gene, ShopBot lists their router air deflector in their price list catalogue. Last time I looked it was about $26.00. I don't have a picture handy, but it looks like an upside down mushroom that slips over the end or your router. You can leave the Kent dust shoe on (the main part) while you use the deflector. All of this works pretty seamlessly. joe